Update for the Owners of this Beautiful Truck!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bless your heart! But how much does it cost on gas to get our beloved bumble bee of an aerodynamic vehicle up to that speed?

I have taken it up to 180 KPH and regularly drive at 140 KPH. I had never though of the cost of gas to drive at these speeds, or any speed for that matter.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you are pulling my leg on this but i am always told this same sentence when i harp about Gas..."If you brought a Landrover LR4 than Gas was and is not an issue with your decision to drive it."

I have no idea but i bet it would not be more than 7mpg while at that speed. I will take a look next time.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know you are pulling my leg on this but i am always told this same sentence when i harp about Gas..."If you brought a Landrover LR4 than Gas was and is not an issue with your decision to drive it."

I have no idea but i bet it would not be more than 7mpg while at that speed. I will take a look next time.

****. I only drive downhill. Actually I was wondering what is the mpg to maintain that speed. And you are right, if $4.10 a gallon scares you, don't buy a LR!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****. I only drive downhill. Actually I was wondering what is the mpg to maintain that speed. And you are right, if $4.10 a gallon scares you, don't buy a LR!
Haha! I know I get no pity from anyone (and probably rightly so) regarding the cost of gas since I have an LR4. The only thing I will change if gas continues to sky rocket (likely) is that I will bike to work. I think I am going to start doing that anyway.

jenn 3

Reaction score
I could largely post the same joys over my 2010 LR4, though I had no accidents in it. Bought in 11/09. We, too, have 5 kids. I used all aspects of our LR4, including our hitch (though only for attaching a bike hitch bar). Middle row folded and put back up daily, 3rd row folded at least weekly for transporting stuff...

The only issues we had were some insignificant things, like the post between the third row seats getting knocked off within weeks of ownership (they just had to secure it back on, though it always wiggled freely if grabbed). Eventually, the spot that receives the seat portion of the third row seat portion when folded flat locked up on one side and wouldn't let the seat lock in.

We did end up with something terribly odd going on that started right at about 24 months of ownership. The car wasn't engaging in drive for up to a minute first time in the morning, only when cold, and only sporadically. Then, it started... falling out of drive, is the only way I can describe it, where I'd be driving, not take it out of drive, but after breaking hard the engine would only rev when the gas was pressed. It was only for a couple of seconds, but still, totally not okay. They tried resetting bunches of software, gave it back, said it was fixed, then midway home on the 3rd day after having it back the engine shut off, battery and engine lights came on, wouldn't start. Had it towed. Though we are only half way through the warranty, we traded in for a 2012 a couple weeks ago.

On our breaks and rotors, we never had them replaced. We were right about 23k miles when we traded in. The dealership was pressing me to have it done, saying that they are generally in need of replacing anywhere between 10k and 21k miles. I thought that to be a funny spread, considering I was at 22k when they were pushing it. Also, I don't drive gently, and the majority of my miles were city miles. They assured me my light would come on when they hit the absolute-must-change-now point.

Oh, and the tires needed changing. The tread was getting pretty bad, which again, they said was totally normal for this car, generally seeing them need to be replaced around 18k. Seems interesting. While we generally only keep our vehicles for 2-3 years, we have never had tires be in such bad shape by 2 years.

Anyway, we really did enjoy the LR4. We love the car that seats the 7 of us, but still drives like a sedan and not a boat. Love it even more than we liked the Lexus GX470 we had back in 2005 (aside from that, for our big brood, we've had 3 Yukons and an Escalade.

Far and away, for off roading, our favorite vehicle is the Ford Raptor. Nothing compares! But for hauling our family around, I love our LR4. Your pictures from your accident are fantastic! Cool that you sustained so little damage. Your bag didn't deploy, I take it? How much of a **** did you feel being rear ended at that speed? Do you recall, was your foot kept firmly on the brake for impact or had you let off at all? Just curious, super cool that you had a tiny bit of damage! We had a little off-road oops in our Dodge Power Wagon, to the point we thought we were going to end up totaled. We ended up landing on the front mount winch and it took all the shock into the frame... no damage! It is amazing what the right impact on the right spot can do, or not do.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could largely post the same joys over my 2010 LR4, though I had no accidents in it. Bought in 11/09. We, too, have 5 kids. I used all aspects of our LR4, including our hitch (though only for attaching a bike hitch bar). Middle row folded and put back up daily, 3rd row folded at least weekly for transporting stuff...

The only issues we had were some insignificant things, like the post between the third row seats getting knocked off within weeks of ownership (they just had to secure it back on, though it always wiggled freely if grabbed). Eventually, the spot that receives the seat portion of the third row seat portion when folded flat locked up on one side and wouldn't let the seat lock in.

We did end up with something terribly odd going on that started right at about 24 months of ownership. The car wasn't engaging in drive for up to a minute first time in the morning, only when cold, and only sporadically. Then, it started... falling out of drive, is the only way I can describe it, where I'd be driving, not take it out of drive, but after breaking hard the engine would only rev when the gas was pressed. It was only for a couple of seconds, but still, totally not okay. They tried resetting bunches of software, gave it back, said it was fixed, then midway home on the 3rd day after having it back the engine shut off, battery and engine lights came on, wouldn't start. Had it towed. Though we are only half way through the warranty, we traded in for a 2012 a couple weeks ago.

On our breaks and rotors, we never had them replaced. We were right about 23k miles when we traded in. The dealership was pressing me to have it done, saying that they are generally in need of replacing anywhere between 10k and 21k miles. I thought that to be a funny spread, considering I was at 22k when they were pushing it. Also, I don't drive gently, and the majority of my miles were city miles. They assured me my light would come on when they hit the absolute-must-change-now point.

Oh, and the tires needed changing. The tread was getting pretty bad, which again, they said was totally normal for this car, generally seeing them need to be replaced around 18k. Seems interesting. While we generally only keep our vehicles for 2-3 years, we have never had tires be in such bad shape by 2 years.

Anyway, we really did enjoy the LR4. We love the car that seats the 7 of us, but still drives like a sedan and not a boat. Love it even more than we liked the Lexus GX470 we had back in 2005 (aside from that, for our big brood, we've had 3 Yukons and an Escalade.

Far and away, for off roading, our favorite vehicle is the Ford Raptor. Nothing compares! But for hauling our family around, I love our LR4. Your pictures from your accident are fantastic! Cool that you sustained so little damage. Your bag didn't deploy, I take it? How much of a **** did you feel being rear ended at that speed? Do you recall, was your foot kept firmly on the brake for impact or had you let off at all? Just curious, super cool that you had a tiny bit of damage! We had a little off-road oops in our Dodge Power Wagon, to the point we thought we were going to end up totaled. We ended up landing on the front mount winch and it took all the shock into the frame... no damage! It is amazing what the right impact on the right spot can do, or not do.
I LOVE this forum! :)

I am glad we get to share with each other, experiences that we can compare with and be aware of. I am quite amazed that you did not have to change your pads after 20K. That is something to look forward to eventually, as i can not get 15k out of mine.

I am curious about the trade in process you went through. Was your leased? Was it alot of paperwork and headache? I am SERIOUSLY thinking about upgrading once the Hybrid is on the line.

I am very happy that i am not the only one who went through tires in 2 years. My pops told me it was only me.

As far as my accident, no the bag did not deploy. For a split second i saw her in my read window and i did slam on my brakes by instinct but the sheer force of it surely knocked my foot off the brake as the vehicle slid about 10-20 feet forward. It felt like an explosion. I was ****** as anyone would be and i jumped out cursing but when i saw her vehicle and how she looked snapped me back into reality of a fellow person being hurt. I am still baffled to this day what little damage i had. You are right about this...it all depends on where you get hit. I was very lucky!!

jenn 3

Reaction score
We owned our 2010, no financing, so that might have made it easier than having had it financed. However, we've got buying new cars down to a science that works well for us. Our prior record was in and out of a dealership in 45. Land Rover helped us beat that! Our 2010 was at the dealership (after being towed in by roadside), and I came down knowing just which LR4 I wanted. I asked how much they'd give us for our 2010, shared how it was loaded, told them how much I was willing to pay, tax included, out the door. They talked about it, agreed, I left a deposit and we were done (left the deposit and didn't take off with the car because in NY they apparently have some hoop to jump through with inspections so harder to take the car on the spot). Very easy. And, they were completely cool about the fact that our car was having some funky, undiagnosable issue that resulted in 2 fixes and finally the car shutting down while driving... still gave me full trade in value!).

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Owning it right out is key to a quick and painless upgrade i see. Glad it worked out and keep us posted on that noise. Thanks

sujeff

Reaction score
19MPG? That is very nice! I got my 2012 LR4 last month and I put up 600 miles on it and it average only 13.9MPG so far. I drive 8 miles to work and 50% freeway and the other 50% on local street. With this MPG, is it normal?

I don't want to jinx anything but I have not had one issue yet...18k and bought it March of this year 2011. In fact, after reading about the "brake jobs" that everyone has been commenting on I asked my dealer how often they need to be changed or replaced, his response is that the average at his shop is 32-37k miles. I wonder if some dealers need to make up revenue but asking owners to do more services earlier and often?

As for mileage, everyone drives differently so we all will get varying MPG. I get 19 MPG average...and dont feel like I am driving it like an old man.

All in all, I love my vehicle and feel very safe in it. For the first time in my adult driving life...I stop other owners in passing (walking) and strike up conversation about the trucks.

BTW...135 mph seems a bit risky for you and all those around you...please slow down.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
19mpg

I really do not see that being possible in an LR4. No way, over a standard period of time. Let's face it guys and girls..these vehicle only average about 14MPH at best. If you running into stop and go traffic you will drop even lower for certain.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dimitricourmousis