Voyager powder coat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a call back from Mike at Voyager. They are going to strip them down and redo the finish for me. They said they are surprised I am having these issues. They use US steel and zinc coatings and rust inhibitors and such.

I call BS on that.

I had the same problem and emailed them many weeks ago. They were quick to say it wasn't covered - no apologies or surprise. Just a very quick "not covered" which is not true given that there is no language to exclude the powder coat from their "warranty."

After expressing my outrage given the rust after 3 months they said they would be happy to correct it. Yeah, right. I'm going to spend $300 in freight plus my time to remove and re-install so they can apply the same crappy powder coat? No way.

My experience with voyager has been late shipment, bad shipping instructions, poor assembly instructions, wrong hardware, rusty parts, etc.

I'll wait until it gets really bad and then go to a local place to have it properly done.

I'm VERY disappointed. I'm also unhappy about the massive weight of the steps which is not listed.

Glad I got the OEM ladder. Still looks like new.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the OEM steps and painted them black.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I call BS on that.

I had the same problem and emailed them many weeks ago. They were quick to say it wasn't covered - no apologies or surprise. Just a very quick "not covered" which is not true given that there is no language to exclude the powder coat from their "warranty."

After expressing my outrage given the rust after 3 months they said they would be happy to correct it. Yeah, right. I'm going to spend $300 in freight plus my time to remove and re-install so they can apply the same crappy powder coat? No way.

My experience with voyager has been late shipment, bad shipping instructions, poor assembly instructions, wrong hardware, rusty parts, etc.

I'll wait until it gets really bad and then go to a local place to have it properly done.

I'm VERY disappointed. I'm also unhappy about the massive weight of the steps which is not listed.

Glad I got the OEM ladder. Still looks like new.

In retrospect, I should have gotten the OEM steps and painted them black.
I can only speak to my experience with their ladder and half rack and I was very unhappy.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sliders are 69 lbs each. Cost me $172 to ship two sliders and the ladder back to them via UPS.

I am giving them a chance to make this right. It will take a winter to verify anything, but lets try it.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I understand the ladder being a huge issue but the sliders I could be give or take on. I mean, they are going to end up rubbing on something and losing their finish anyways. They will get touched up.

No matter what it seems like a good decision on their part to help you out even though you had to pay $172 to ship them.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I understand the ladder being a huge issue but the sliders I could be give or take on. I mean, they are going to end up rubbing on something and losing their finish anyways. They will get touched up.

No matter what it seems like a good decision on their part to help you out even though you had to pay $172 to ship them.

If I had dinged up the sliders, ya, I would just use some sturdy engine enamel paint and be done with it, but they were not compromised at all, not even any real gravel damage.

If it was just one spot, I have no problem sanding and re-finishing things myself, but the ENTIRE thing is rusting.

I don't want to just bash them on a forum and refinish them locally, I do want to give them a chance to make it right. Hell, I will even take pictures and send them follow up data if it helps them improve. The products are hand made and are really nice quality. I haven't had any fitment issues, the ladder was perfect, so for me its just the powder coat issues.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had dinged up the sliders, ya, I would just use some sturdy engine enamel paint and be done with it, but they were not compromised at all, not even any real gravel damage.

If it was just one spot, I have no problem sanding and re-finishing things myself, but the ENTIRE thing is rusting.

I don't want to just bash them on a forum and refinish them locally, I do want to give them a chance to make it right. Hell, I will even take pictures and send them follow up data if it helps them improve. The products are hand made and are really nice quality. I haven't had any fitment issues, the ladder was perfect, so for me its just the powder coat issues.

I hear you. I think you have done the right thing and they have treated you properly. I look forward to seeing the outcome, granted I think they are 3rd down on my list for sliders.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you. I think you have done the right thing and they have treated you properly. I look forward to seeing the outcome, granted I think they are 3rd down on my list for sliders.

Ya, and I understand that at this point some of the other options are giving more protection of the compressor and more inboard protection. I would still consider upgrading if someone wanted to buy my (re finished) voyager sliders.

I think I still like the actual side step on the Voyager more than the square ones. The bars are nice and large diameter. **Sigh**... not sure how much I will ever really need the protection that the non-voyager sliders give anyway.. .so its painful to want something else.

How much do the other options weigh?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Finlayforprez can you pollute my thread with pictures of your new sliders? I want to think on it a bit.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Finlayforprez can you pollute my thread with pictures of your new sliders? I want to think on it a bit.
The Tactical 4x4 sliders are very nice, but man they are heavy. The protection is incredible, but it is a trade off. You definitely feel them when driving and it does alter the performance slightly. I think Umberto will agree as well. It's fine, but may become annoying to some people.

Here is another, I will take more specifically of the sliders this evening.

IMG_1767_zpsb7e50ce0.jpg

This was before the transfer case skid went on, and kind of hard to see, but will take more:

IMG_1783_zpse96a5865.jpg

I am actually planning to drop the sliders tomorrow and add rubber to stop the creaking, so I will try to take photos of that process for you.

-David

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9