Voyager Rack Ladder Nightmare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my voyager ladder from 2013 did the same and I sent it back to them to get it stripped and redone. It's been better this time around. My sliders from the same time did rust very badly. I think they just didn't (or still don't, not sure) do a very nice job with powder coat and didn't have enough zinc.

I still like the voyager sliders a lot though and the ladder. I might actually get another set of sliders soon because the t44 are a little overkill most of the time.

You say that until you have to drag this 7,500 pound ***** over a boulder or drive over an IED....:)

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I bought my LR4 I noticed some rust on the rear ladder for the voyager rack where it mounts under the lift gate switch housing. I just assumed I would take it off and Powdercoat it. Well it was a nice sunny day today and I thought I’d take it off, what a nightmare! The steel was rusted so bad that it was in rusted paper thin layers.... bolts and nut inserts on the lift gate switch housing are now broken. The lift gate is in bad shape, and i tried cleaning it up but it still needs some further attention. I am now left shaking my head trying to figure out where to go from here....

East coast winter and road salt suck.....

d3e27ddf2802d1e469026d1f274657d6.jpg

da7abf05d9e91dec64b3a63e93b6caa3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

take it to a local fab shop and have them make a new bracket. Get some rubber gasket material and cut it out int he shape do the bracket. clean up the area on the lift gate. paint the new bracket. Install with gasket in between liftgate and bracket. Not sure why the heck anyone would install that metal to metal anyway. You should be into this for less then $200 to fix IMO.

shawn luton

Reaction score
do you think the issue is due exclusively to the road brine/salt winter conditions common in NY or would this have happened due to just normal rainfall/damp conditions getting between the ladder mounting bracket and the rear door body? I ask b/c I just installed a new voyager ladder on my LR4 this past weekend and had concerns over the forced "gap" left between the body door panel and the liftgate exterior component when I put it back together. Although the ladder mounting flange is relatively thin, it definitely doesn't allow the liftgate exterior component to seat as tight to the body panel as originally, and i'm concerned water will remain trapped between the surfaces.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you think the issue is due exclusively to the road brine/salt winter conditions common in NY or would this have happened due to just normal rainfall/damp conditions getting between the ladder mounting bracket and the rear door body? I ask b/c I just installed a new voyager ladder on my LR4 this past weekend and had concerns over the forced "gap" left between the body door panel and the liftgate exterior component when I put it back together. Although the ladder mounting flange is relatively thin, it definitely doesn't allow the liftgate exterior component to seat as tight to the body panel as originally, and i'm concerned water will remain trapped between the surfaces.

I'd run a bead of high grade silicone on top that that and not let any water get behind it. Those gaps will just fill with direct and road crap and be worthless in short order. The designers of this stuff always forget the basic molecular principals of water.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is a total and absolute dealbreaker for me. I was liking @Davidinseattle's idea to gasket the part that rests against the paint. However that would just make the gap even worse. In addition to allowing water/crap ingress, the appearance of that gap would make me hate it bad.

I have the curved style ladder on the opposite side of the tailgate. The parts that hook around body panels all have protective foam where they touch paint. Granted I need to keep an eye on that as well as rust in different places but at least I can see all the potential trouble spots.

Davidinseattle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a total and absolute dealbreaker for me. I was liking @Davidinseattle's idea to gasket the part that rests against the paint. However that would just make the gap even worse. In addition to allowing water/crap ingress, the appearance of that gap would make me hate it bad.

I have the curved style ladder on the opposite side of the tailgate. The parts that hook around body panels all have protective foam where they touch paint. Granted I need to keep an eye on that as well as rust in different places but at least I can see all the potential trouble spots.

Your other option is to make a bracket out of aluminum and paint it black. Panel is aluminum and bracket it aluminum. Of course you would have to bolt it on to the ladder.

I like fabricating stuff and have a bunch of metal work tools in my shop. I realize most don't but I am guessing there's a pretty easy hack for this for a local fabricator

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All these manufactures seem to think powder coating is the cat’s meow and it’s horrible for this type of application. When you get a nick in the finish, the steel starts to rust underneath the powder coat. The powder coat itself is so hard it retains its shape and you don’t know what’s happening until it comes off in huge sheets, or layers in the the case of the OP. Several years ago it was all the rage to powder coat the frame of the Piper Super Cub aircraft. After a few years these frames started to rust through and no one knew because the powder coat held the shape and hid the rust during annual inspection.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a form vs function kind of person. What function does this ladder serve vs standing on the tailgate?

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am a form vs function kind of person. What function does this ladder serve vs standing on the tailgate?

I guess it allows him to climb onto his roof rack if he wanted---maybe to help organize whatever is organized above the sunroof, or just to hang out. I think loading a roof rack is easier (and safer) when standing on the lowered tail gate.

I don't have a roof rack. So, I'm not sure of the particulars though lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM