VVT / VCT Solenoid Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
Hi all--have any of you ever replace the actual VVT/VCT oil solenoids in your 4.4 LR3 (not just the occasionally leaky seals)? If so, can you share what the process is? I paid for a subscription to Topix and made my own workshop manual but I can't find anywhere where it actually shows how to replace these solenoids.

For reference: My LR3 is throwing two codes: P0075 and P0077. I contacted the LR dealer and they said LR doesn't even make these solenoids anymore but they did say aftermarket ones can be found. I found the following but needless to say LR won't do the repair using that part:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/.../v/a/24093/automotive-suv-2007-land-rover-lr3)

Thanks!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure but I know it involves removal of the valve covers...probably obvi.

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may already have this section of the manual but here it is if it helps. Houm is right, I would say pull the valve cover and there will be a ***** holding it to the head. Once removed it would pull straight out. I started to say to watch the orientation but the ***** will locate it correctly it appears.

Attachments

• Description and Operation.pdf
    758.1 KB · Views: 142

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting the system corrected the term I used for a threaded fastener with asterisks. I guess it assumed I was talking about an act of affection between two people. Ha Ha.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
thank you both! i finally did find the actual procedure in the manual--i'll attach here. your instructions were exactly right--basically remove the valve cover, unbolt the solenoid, reverse the process. thanks again.

Attachments

• 2007 LR3 Workshop Manual 1508.pdf
    101.1 KB · Views: 172

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please let us know if it clears the codes and also if it improves your fuel economy.

Tejonito

Reaction score
I replaced one to fix a P0028-77. Turns out there was a piece of a gasket material stuck in the solenoid. I've since pulled the valve cover two more times to clean the VVT solenoid for the same code.

I've gotten away with reusing the valve cover gasket despite the manual saying not to. Just make sure you use some liquid gasket material (I used Hylomar Blue) in the one little spot that the directions say to put it.

Use a torque wrench and follow the sequence when tightening down the valve cover bolts and you'll be good to go.

proslambanomenos

Reaction score
Did this job last night. Nothing incredibly difficult, just somewhat time consuming. The solenoid looked clean so it must have just failed. I swapped it out and I did replace the gasket and plug o rings with new and used a little gasket maker in the two spots indicated in the manual. I also replaced the solenoid gasket/o ring. I haven't driven it yet (will give the gasket maker a day to cure properly) but I did start the engine and already the codes were cleared.
IMG_20210913_235628.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA