Want to build my own Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of you take a deep breath. He bought a new vehicle and is excited to get from start to finish. Not everyone has bottomless pocket or the desire to use plastic to get there. Also, some people enjoy the built not bought approach, though that’s typically in the four letter J-word community.

In through the nose, out through the mouth. There, that’s better.
You’re right. I am very excited. Like... SUPER excited, lol. I also didn’t grow up around cars. Always wanted to learn. Was never in a situation where i could afford to put hands into my own vehicle at the risk of messing it up due to ignorance. The way my life went, the choices i made, etc, never led to my learning much about automotive mechanics.
Recently, due to our toyota sequoia finally dying after over 350k miles, i was in a place to buy a new vehicle, and i always wanted a Landy. Wife said to go for it. I know a couple of indy mechanics that always kept my sequoia healthy, so i figured what the hell. So here i am now.
Thing is, yes. I post a lot. I ask a lot of questions. I have now learned that some of my questions have been asked in previous threads, and that my asking them again in. my own thread apparently REALLY bothers some people. I was never one to do forums so i’m learning as i go. Now i know to search past threads before asking my own question. But i guess many here expect all others to be up to date on what is considered to be good forum behavior and manners, and their wrath is just something i’ll have to (and am more than willing to) put up with, while i learn.
I ask many questions here because you guys are all landy owners with experience and know-how. Not to bother any of you.
I will say that when i ask about “cheap” alternatives, i am not trying to put bad parts on a good rig. I am trying to learn about less expensive methods of achieving good results, that only people with such experience might have. Obviously, i can’t always google that because google is littered with paid propaganda designed to lead a naive consumer to buying brand name products. I just dont always trust it. So i turn to you guys. My questions may come across as if i’m trying to go cheap, but that’s not the case.
I want to be smart about how i invest my money.
I do understand that sometimes spending more upfront saves me money over the lifetime of the vehicle, and i do take that into consideration with each investment i think of making. At the end of the day, i’m just asking questions. Questions so i can learn a little more. So i can hear various opinions. Possible see things in a new light. Consider things i hadn’t considered.
Thank you guys for answering my questions, be it nicely or not-so-nicely. Either way, you guys take the time to help out and your wisdom has already helped me a lot.
Thank you @m_lars for remembering what its like to have this vehicle for the first time and being so excited about it, wanting to ask all kinds of questions, and wanting to do all sorts of projects with it, and for having that kind of patience with me.
I’m excited to be one of the newest (and most annoying i guess) members of the community. I truly am :) hahaha

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One of the most useful $265 you can spend :

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-waffleboards.htm

Also, maybe create a thread of your own that is YOUR build thread where you list what you've done and what you're researching. Then people can add to that thread. It's also better to ask your question in an older thread on similar topic but remember to tag a few people or it may not get much attention due to how the forum software works.

The Mantec ladders are about $600 though they are 14x60" long. Google them for gear envy. I decided the waffles were easier to deal with and store.

Last edited:

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dodn
One of the most useful $265 you can spend :

http://www.okoffroad.com/stuff-waffleboards.htm

Also, maybe create a thread of your own that is YOUR build thread where you list what you've done and what you're researching. Then people can add to that thread. It's also better to ask your question in an older thread on similar topic but remember to tag a few people or it may not get much attention due to how the forum software works.
Didn’t know that. Cool. Thx

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will say that when i ask about “cheap” alternatives, i am not trying to put bad parts on a good rig. I am trying to learn about less expensive methods of achieving good results, that only people with such experience might have.

The rack idea was a good "idea" actually but it would depend entirely on the skill level of your friend more than anything. For example, I have a friend who 100% could make one out of aluminum or stainless steel but he'd do it in such a perfect way that I would seriously owe him or need to pay 3x what I could get one new from a top three aftermarket source. His would be better but would it be truly worth it? Sure if I had specific custom ideas not covered by mainstream choices.

The value play is finding a used one and making a trip to get it.

There are however, ways to mount awnings even that don't require a rack such as angle aluminum mounted to cross bars, then awning mounted to the angle. The $1000 saved on a rack goes a long way toward other things.

As an aside, my method of mounting the rack to 3 Yakima bars allows me to place or remove it myself in about 15 minutes. If you have a steel rack or one mounted in a more complicated way, this is not something you'll be wanting to do, ever.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That roof rack looks amazing! Especially considering you made it!!! Wow. Very cool. :)

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s what I did on my LR3. It’s not quite as refined as commercially made rack, but I think it’s good enough to not look home made. It’s way better than the basket on load bars so many people have on various vehicle in my area. The fairing is essential as it helps finish the look and cuts WAY down on noise.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/diy-frontrunner-style-roof-rack-90792/
I love it!!! So cool that u made that yourself. Have you dont other such projects in your Landy?

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Save your money and buy a proper one. Someone else has already spent the money on seeing what works and what doesn't. I guarantee that you will spend more time and money (time = money) making your own than buying one.
Simply not true. I’ve done it, maybe cost me a couple hundred bucks. It has thousands of miles with lots of gear (33” spare, 3 Plano boxes, tepui RRT) on top and it’s held up just fine. Should everybody do it? No, but let’s not make blanket statements that aren’t true.

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also @Socialseb83, your MaxTrax will fit perfectly behind the middle row seats, right up against the seats and anchored into the seat latch structure behind. I store my MT, axe, shovel in that spot and it's perfect.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Unless you need to fold down the middle row to access the third row...

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a difference between saving money and creating unnecessary risk. Saving money means buying a well-built rack used in good condition and having it properly fitted OR having the skills, knowledge, and capability to design the rack in such a way that it will be safe for the driver, passengers, and others on the road.

I don't think it serves @Socialseb83 to cheerlead him into designing a roof rack designed to hold equipment safely to the roof of his new truck at highway speed, based on the technical and mechanical expertise he appears to have based on prior posts.

For the record, @Socialseb83 - I absolutely love your enthusiasm for new vehicle build. So don't take my direct points as anything other than what they are - one person's advice that you're free to ignore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I’m buying parts to build my own dual arm spare tire carrier. I will be sure to use plenty of S.W.A.G. engineering though, so it’ll be ok.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM