Want to build my own Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just spent money on tires, not to me tion i only recently purchased my 2012, so i’m not able to cough up $850+ for a brand name roof rack.

a welder buddy told me that if i design it to correct specs, and buy the material, he will build it for me.

so now i turn to you.

Thoughts? Concerns? Tips based on experience doing this yourself?

do you know where i can get the recommended dimensions for the roof rack?

basically any info of value that you can provided to help move this project toward a successful outcome is welcome!

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the responses...

My hot take given your current level of LR4 expertise (growing though it may be) is that you should concentrate on finding a used rack versus trying to assemble all of the nearly infinite data and various permutations that would go into a self-designed custom-built roof rack for these vehicles. Shop the brand name makers for one that meets your specific needs and then go to town on ebay, craigslist, junkyards, etc. It'll be a lot more efficient and less frustrating.

Last edited:

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe ask yourself why you want to go from zero to fully modded so damn fast that you're willing to take shortcuts all along the way.

CaliDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a fun project!
Thing with racks is there’s a lot of physics and stresses to take in to account. Structural stuff with the vehicle rails etc, not to mention protecting your glass roof etc. and of course Aero plays a HUGE element:
Racks with even a minor element designed and fabricated improperly can be howlers that make for an awful ride above 25 mph!
Having said that- creative solutions should always be encouraged!!!
Looking forward to seeing your solutions!

Last edited:

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe ask yourself why you want to go from zero to fully modded so damn fast that you're willing to take shortcuts all along the way.

^^ That.

Why do you keep insisting that you both want to add stuff to the truck but that you don't want to pay to do it correctly?

Why do you need a roof rack? Is it really number 2 on your list of priorities after the tires? How about driver training, a tow strap, some d-shackles, a first aid kit, a shovel, an axe, some maxtrax/sand ladders, camp kit...(Note: these all cost money).

There are many many things that are more important than having a roof rack. For most people, a roof rack just encourages poor loading habits and has them loading it up with fuel, water, and heavy **** that will raise the vehicle center of gravity and negatively affect handling, particularly when you need it most in an accident avoidance situation.

Even assuming you've decided that it is absolutely the next best and most important thing to add to the vehicle (which is unlikely), I'm going to assume based on the last several months of questions that you are not a professional mechanical engineer and further assume you've never designed something to take static loads of 200lb or dynamic loads of 400lb while on a vehicle doing 50-70mph.

Building your own rack is not only dumb, it's unsafe for you, your passengers, whatever you put on it, and whoever is driving behind you on the road.

Buy a good quality used roof rack from an established manufacturer. Building your own is honestly really idiotic unless you have the skillset and even then, it's inefficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a cool project but I have no experience with that sort of thing and I know you don’t either. I’d be careful and really make sure it’s same and what you want

Socialseb83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My take from this is that the physics involved, and the engineering required, exceed my current level of experience. I was gifted a Maxtrax and thought that the roof rack would be the best place to put it.
In any case, harsh as some of the comments were, i realize they are good-natured, and full of wisdom. I’ll be looking for a used one from a respected manufacturer.
Thanks guys

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s what I did on my LR3. It’s not quite as refined as commercially made rack, but I think it’s good enough to not look home made. It’s way better than the basket on load bars so many people have on various vehicle in my area. The fairing is essential as it helps finish the look and cuts WAY down on noise.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/lr3-28/diy-frontrunner-style-roof-rack-90792/

Last edited:

m_lars

Full Access Member
Reaction score

^^ That.

Why do you keep insisting that you both want to add stuff to the truck but that you don't want to pay to do it correctly?

Why do you need a roof rack? Is it really number 2 on your list of priorities after the tires? How about driver training, a tow strap, some d-shackles, a first aid kit, a shovel, an axe, some maxtrax/sand ladders, camp kit...(Note: these all cost money).

There are many many things that are more important than having a roof rack. For most people, a roof rack just encourages poor loading habits and has them loading it up with fuel, water, and heavy **** that will raise the vehicle center of gravity and negatively affect handling, particularly when you need it most in an accident avoidance situation.

Even assuming you've decided that it is absolutely the next best and most important thing to add to the vehicle (which is unlikely), I'm going to assume based on the last several months of questions that you are not a professional mechanical engineer and further assume you've never designed something to take static loads of 200lb or dynamic loads of 400lb while on a vehicle doing 50-70mph.

Building your own rack is not only dumb, it's unsafe for you, your passengers, whatever you put on it, and whoever is driving behind you on the road.

Buy a good quality used roof rack from an established manufacturer. Building your own is honestly really idiotic unless you have the skillset and even then, it's inefficient.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Both of you take a deep breath. He bought a new vehicle and is excited to get from start to finish. Not everyone has bottomless pocket or the desire to use plastic to get there. Also, some people enjoy the built not bought approach, though that’s typically in the four letter J-word community.

In through the nose, out through the mouth. There, that’s better.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of you take a deep breath. He bought a new vehicle and is excited to get from start to finish. Not everyone has bottomless pocket or the desire to use plastic to get there. Also, some people enjoy the built not bought approach, though that’s typically in the four letter J-word community.

In through the nose, out through the mouth. There, that’s better.

I made my post and stand by it in the context of the hundred other posts OP has made in the last few months.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM