Want to purchase a daily driver LR4 - 2013 vs. 2015/2016?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roversurf

Reaction score
Been waiting to see the Disco 5 in person before making my purchase decision on an LR4 or the new Disco 5. After checking out the Disco 5 at the LA auto show, I have decided its not for me, although I did like the interior. I really love the design of the LR4 and want to get one now while I still can get a newer one with some warranty left.

I would be using it for a daily driver (15 mile commute in So Cal) and would plan to keep it long term, 7+ years and probably put 10-12K miles annually on it. I don't see the additional gas mileage benefit between the '13 v8 vs. SCV6 as being that meaningful from what I have heard from others. Any reasons to not get a 2013 with 25k - 50k miles on it? Would get one with some warranty left and plan to add on an extended warranty of some sorts that would get me covered through 2018 or so and then live on the edge after that. That seems like it would cost $30 - $40K depending on trim and mileage.

My other thought was to just get a low mileage used 2015 or 2016 with plenty of warranty left and call it a day and spend the $50 - $60k.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In 2015 it was time to replace my 2008 LR3. My wife has a 2013 LR4. I test drove the 2015 and did not like it compared to my wife's 2013. SCV6 only gets 1 mpg more than the V8 and the V8 simply moves all this weight better. But if you never drove the V8 you will be happy with the SCV6. Also, I didn't like the rotary shift wheel and loss of storage spots in the dashboard. I hated the running boards as they are just in the way and useless for my tall family. I ended up finding a used 2013 with 10K miles on it to replace the LR3.

If going with a used V8, look for an HSE-LUX so that you get nicer leather, better radio, memory seats, better lighting, cooler box, etc.

If going with a SCV6, keep in mind that you need to find one with the heavy duty package to get a 2-speed transfer case with low gear. I think this is a must if you plan on going off road.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my opinion you should definitely go with the V8 and i agree with Paul, HSE lux, although i have an HSE and i prefer the leather in it rather than the more expensive leather in the HSE lux. The more expensive leather is more soft which makes it prone to cracking. The regular HSE leather is more rough and grainy and is less prone to premature cracking.

horns

Reaction score
My 2c is to make sure the brakes have already been done if you are looking at a 25k mileage vehicle. The last thing you want is to have to replace the brakes one month after you purchase it. Perhaps I am lucky but in my case, the scheduled maintenance costs have far exceeded any unexpected or warranty issues. My '12 has held up well. Good luck.

Roversurf

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the response. I went to my local LR to Test drive the '13 they had and unfortunately it sold that morning. I did test drive a 2016 and liked it, but decided I want to wait and try and hunt down a '13 lux!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to look far to find a good 2013 HSE-LUX. I'm in Boston and found the one I wanted at a dealership in Chicago. I had my local dealer buy it, arrange shipping (about $300) and add the CPO warranty for $1500.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may need to look far to find a good 2013 HSE-LUX. I'm in Boston and found the one I wanted at a dealership in Chicago. I had my local dealer buy it, arrange shipping (about $300) and add the CPO warranty for $1500.

Same here. I found mine at a dealer in Omaha, made the deal via email, and had it shipped to me about 1000 miles away. Finding the right color combo and packages was more important to me than actually touching it first, and the dealer did a great job of showing me all pictures I wanted and doing a thorough pre-sale mechanical inspection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72