Way too much body roll to the point it's dangerous

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jpyles

Reaction score
Also duplicating my post from other site:

My 06 HSE has 90K miles and I feel the same way. I have replaced the sway bar links front and rear, which helped but didn't resolve the issue. If I were to sum it up, I'd say that every road imperfection, bump and swale unsettles the car more than it should, for longer afterwards than it should. Does this sound like your situation?

I think there are two possibilities:

1 as others have said on the post, the Shocks inside the air spring are no longer damping the suspension movements, or

2 The valve blocks have leaks internally, allowing pressurized air to move within the spring system from left to right and front to back - basically crosslinking - reducing spring rate of the spring(s) with highest load. If I imagine driving the truck on-road with the crosslink valves opened, I can see how this fits as a source of issue.

Air spring assemblies are expensive, so I guess the proper strategy is to investigate the valve blocks as issues first, and see what happens there. However, I'm thinking it's probably going to be the spring assemblies...

Trynian

Reaction score
The shocks do ware out. If the cross valve was leaking I can't imagine it would be substantial enough to cause excessive sway unless it was almost locked open which should produce a fault.

The only leaking I have heard of was just overnight slow leaks of the valves causing the vehicle to lower.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is always the option of replacing the air suspension with a coil spring suspension. I recently read that Atlantic British offers 2 coil conversion kits for the LR3. The $1200 kit adds 2" of lift from "normal" and there is another kit that maintains the "normal" height for $1000. Not a bad idea if you have over 100K miles and plan to keep it until 200K miles or beyond.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it may be overkill for solving this problem, the coil conversion I mean. I guess it depends on what the owner wants. The EAS is brilliant and makes the LR3 more capable off-road than a coiler LR3. That is not debatable. However it does require maintenance. These trucks and their components are getting older and things need to be replaced; that's just the way of things.

I've made my decision and in the last few years replaced both front shocks and the EAS compressor to the (second gen) AMK version. That should do for a while (knock wood) ad I have not heard many people mention rear shocks wearing out. I'm sure they will eventually. So that's probably $2500 right there.

Yes a coil-conversion is cheaper; so it's up to you.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The EAS is brilliant and makes the LR3 more capable off-road than a coiler LR3. That is not debatable. However it does require maintenance. These trucks and their components are getting older and things need to be replaced; that's just the way of things.

I completely agree and would never want to give up the air suspension. It allows you to go offroad, through deep snow and sand. Before the LR3 I owned 2 Audi allroads with air suspensions and eventually replaced all 4 air springs on both vehicles. Just part of the cost of owning a very capable vehicle.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is always the option of replacing the air suspension with a coil spring suspension. I recently read that Atlantic British offers 2 coil conversion kits for the LR3. The $1200 kit adds 2" of lift from "normal" and there is another kit that maintains the "normal" height for $1000. Not a bad idea if you have over 100K miles and plan to keep it until 200K miles or beyond.
Replacing springs after 100 000 miles?Why ?
I am almost at 200 000 miles club and my air struts don't show any signs of leakage .200 000 miles on LR3 should not scare anyone these days...
I think OP should start with a small and obvious suspects such as ARB bushings and sway bar links that wear off pretty often before moving onto more expensive items.And keep that tire pressure in check.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72