Weird question but i am asking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a debate with someone recently..the lower hatch on the liftgate of the LR4...is it strong enough for 2 people to sit on for an extended amount of time and repeatedly? You know..go camping..pop it down...and sit on it and enjoy the view...sort of?:biggrin:

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought it would be ok and i was concerned as i am 6 foot 5 and weigh 240lbs and with another person it would easily top off 400lbs of sitting pressure...it looks sturdy but there should be some type of load capacity notification somewhere. I would hate for something to happen and it voids a warranty and cost 3k. Thanks for answering.

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
400# shouldn't be a problem. I've sat on my friend's LR4 tailgate with two other guys, for lunch and didn't think twice about it. You should be fine.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's rated for 500 or 600 lbs... I know it's an insane amount. No other tailgate I know of can handle that. Maybe a pick-up.

gfcronus

Banned
Reaction score
400# shouldn't be a problem. I've sat on my friend's LR4 tailgate with two other guys, for lunch and didn't think twice about it. You should be fine.

Well, it was your friend's LR4, right?....I wouldn't have thought twice about it either.

Now if it was MY LR4, well.....

EIGHTLUG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it was your friend's LR4, right?....I wouldn't have thought twice about it either.

Now if it was MY LR4, well.....

If you ever sat on a tailgate for lunch and the thought of it ever breaking ever crossed your mind, you sir should go for a run, instead of having lunch.

Last edited:

JB23

Reaction score
My sales guy told me it could support 500lbs....he didn't have any documentation to support that statement, but it does seem pretty sturdy...

lexman34

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was funny Count! I am glad i got some answers about this because i was wondering about it and now this vehicle just became that much better. Now it has a built in "bench". That's cool! Now while parked, a damn tree branch fell on it yesterday and dented the corner of my hood the size of a quarter and it is driving me INSANE to look at it. My wife is like it is not a big deal but she does not understand. I just took it to the body shop and of course they have to paint the entire hood. Just great.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink