Went to use hitch...surprise!

Discussion in 'LR4' started by wthammett, Aug 11, 2019.

1. TheWidup

TheWidup Full Access Member

LOL. Stampy. As in Bart's pet elephant?

2. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

That's exactly how they mount. The sleeve at the top in the photo you shared is what slides into the recovery point loop. They send two different diameter sleeves because that opening is slightly different between the LR3 and LR4. Finally, there is an extra safety hook that clamps on so that if TSHTF you have one final bit of redundancy.

I would also like to see documentation from LRNA stating that this hitch lowers the vehicle's towing capacity. That would contradict the certified capacities of the Rhino, which exceed the towing limits and tongue weight of the OEM device and the vehicle itself.

IMG_5496.jpg IMG_5497.jpg IMG_5498.jpg

avslash likes this.
  3. cperez

cperez Full Access Member

I love the powerfuluk videos. That guy's delivery style is great; he comes across like the buddy you call up to come over and help you do stuff while drinking beer in the garage.

4. ryanjl

ryanjl Full Access Member

I agree. He seems like the guy who's kinda funny yet brave enough after a few beers to try to fix something on his own car that you might not attempt on your own without watching him do it his first, which is perfect for what he does.

cperez likes this.
  5. Steve Weil

Steve Weil New Member

I bought the bolt on from amazon and it’s fine for towing a boat 20 feet or less in my opinion.

It seems to be solid.

6. Jeeptour Jodi

Jeeptour Jodi Member

I’m gonna’ have to disagree with the statement “easy to use design”. Who ever designed the OEM - well, let’s just say.....WHY???? It’s a real PITA to drop and install the draw bar - every time. I used to leave mine on permanently, but since I haven’t towed in some time, have taken it off. When I go to put it back on again, I will expect the same PITA experience. I don’t know what they were thinking when they designed it this way.

7. roverman

roverman Full Access Member

Wait, you don't like that little pin and/or the key seizing up? you don't like trying to pound the thing in with a hammer, then pounding it out with a hammer so you can lube the pin again? You don't like thinking it's in place and then getting your now filthy self up off the ground only to have it magically drop out and fall tothe ground so you can start all over again? Wow, it's like you're not a masochist or something ;)

cperez and backcountryLR4 like this.
  8. npollardtx

npollardtx New Member

YES! You're only the second to ask and we've had those plates on two different F250s for about 10 years. Technically, we're on Son of Stampy.

TheWidup likes this.
  9. Mdurwin

Mdurwin Member

I was surprised to find that my LR4, unlike every other truck on the market, had a vertical tow adaptor that cost $400+ for an official LR adaptor or $75 for a generic one installed BEFORE anything as simple as a bike rack could be attached.

10. ManontheMove

ManontheMove New Member