What Can I Expect From A Rover ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FredMcIntire

Reaction score
I have been looking at buying a Land Rover Discovery; however, I have heard a ton of horror stories about how unreliable they are, and how expensive they are to repair. I've been told there are no repairs that will be less than $1,000 out of the shop. So forth and so on; however, I'm not easily disillusioned. I found this ad for a local Discovery.

" This is my gorgeous 2003 Silver Land Rover Discovery. It has a perfect 4.6 liter SMPI V8 engine with 111,500 miles. This Disco is in amazing condition and runs perfectly. This Disco is in phenomenal condition! The paint does not have the multitude of paint chips that many cars have. The paint is in great condition including the trim. This Disco is Silver with black int. All Maintenance has been performed on this truck throughout the years and just spent $2000 for maintenance at 100,000 miles. "

Can I get some input from people that own Rovers ? How are they as far as dependability ? Will I have a ton of $$$$ in maintenance and upkeep as compared to say a Chevrolet Trail Blazer or a Jeep Cherokee ?

Thanks !

Fred

Roughtx

Reaction score
I have been told that most Discovery II's have pretty unreliable engines. A mechanic friend of mine theorized that the engine runs a little too hot, and recommends that you place an additive in your coolant called Red something.

Also, just like with any car, you can get a lemon. What is the price of the vehicle?

FredMcIntire

Reaction score
They are asking $5,800. I really don't think they are out of line price wise. I am just concerned about how reliable the Rovers really are.

Thanks !

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy it for the paint! Buy it to get dirty. They are reliable if treated like a LandRover. They are not made for commuting, towing nor interstate cruising, for that get a Toyota. They will get you through the mud where other vehicles are calling tow trucks. They are expensive to maintain but you can do most of it yourself. Take a look at YouTube videos of Landrover Discovery and see what some guys do for fun. If that's the swashbuckling side of you then go for it! :) It could be as old as 9 years now... it's not a new car. 111,*** miles? It's going to have something happen soon if it hasn't already so be careful and have someone who knows Rovers look it over!

Rovers are pretty cool in that there are warning signs before most major problems. You have to inspect it frequently like an aircraft. If a fluid runs low you have to determine why BEFORE you keep driving it. Most major problems are caused by ignoring the warning signs.

Last edited:

chris02disco

Reaction score
The fact that you are asking about reliability makes me think you should run. My experience with an 01 disco2 is that you can fix most everything yourself, but it takes a lot of time and learning. Mine is my hobbie. If it wasnt I wouldnt own one.
BTW dont drive one or you we be hooked.
Cheers

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM