What charges on top of MSRP?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you get charged for on top of MSRP (minus disocunts)?

I got:
$ 169 VIN window etching
$ 299 Dealer conveyance fee
$ 175 DMV fee

Plus $3,667 7% CT sales tax

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What did you get charged for on top of MSRP (minus disocunts)?

I got:
$ 169 VIN window etching
$ 299 Dealer conveyance fee
$ 175 DMV fee

Plus $3,667 7% CT sales tax

Sounds like:

1) Is an optional security thing you could have opted out of - but some people recommend it (I wouldn't do it).

2) Some dealer fee. It could be BS to line their pockets, but often dealerships have some kind of default fee for dealing with paperwork. This one, at 299 seems pretty high. I've seen them in the 125-175 range.

3) Fee for handling the registration and other DMV work. This depends on what the actual CT fee is for registration, plates etc. But I would expect a fee of about $100 total for this. The dealer should not be charging more than about 50-70 over the actual fees.

uhur

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Regarding the fees, doc fee is pretty much standard everywhere with a few exceptions, and it ranges from $99 to $699. Of course, it is pure profit for the dealership. If you get adamant about it, they'll discount the car for the doc fee amount, but will never remove it from the contract.
VIN etching is definitely an unnecessary add-on. Tag and title should probably be under $100 but it probably depends on a state you are in. Some dealers will try to squeeze in rust-proofing, undercoating, prep fees and any number of other junk that they'll insist you must pay; its all negotiable

alexcorral

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Window etching is something they do to all the vehicles in their lot when they get them. It seems the etching equipment must have already paid for itself. I guess charging for this and how much is up to them. Since the LR4 is an order specifically for me and not in their lot, I asked them if they could not etch the windows. We'll see.

The Dealer fee is what they feel they must charge as part of the sale process and adds to their revenue/profits.

I would expect them to charge more than the actual DMV fee, simply for doing the work themselves and not myself. This I find helpful.

Now, considering they discounted $2,500 off MSRP and then added about $500 more it didn't seem too bad.

The BMW Motorcycle dealer charges $179 "document fee" on all bikes sold, new or used.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM