What psi are you running your 285/50r20's. Ride Stiffness?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrezo

Reaction score
Update:

I’ve been running 36 PSI in the front and 38 PSI in the rear. Truck runs great on pavement and the Nitto G2s are holding up well rotating every 5k with oil changes.

I took the rig up some rocky technical trails in the Eastern Sierras with a few Jeeps, Tacomas, and ZR2s and the LR4 did not disappoint.

I dropped the air down by 4PSI all around and was told the the tires were getting some good bite on the rocky bits.

For those who lightly to moderately wheel their rigs with 20” wheels, do you air down at all? If so, how far down do you go? I’d prefer a more comfortable ride going down the tracked fire roads (my teeth felt like they were going to rattle loose in some sections) but I vaguely remember reading here or on another LR forum that airing down on narrower profile tires was generally not recommended.

Taller sidewalls + 18s is probably the answer but just wanted to check what other members had experienced.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 265/50-20 XL Nitto G2's and run factory pressure. I wish LR would give us 2 different tire pressure ratings, 1 for light load and another for full load. I never thought to run lower pressures while not fully loaded. I've always tried to run at or above on long trips to try and get better gas milage and for a little more safety on the expressway because of the stiffer sidewalls.

In college I had the factory Firestones on my '98 Explorer and many flipped and people died because Ford was recommending under-inflating the tires so the ride was more comfortable. Ended up getting new Goodyears for free.

@umbertob any recommendation on pressures for just 2 adults? Maybe minus 2lbs psi in the rear and go from there?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM