What size tyres can I go up to on my D90?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dave6509

Hi all, I have the stock 205/80R16's on my '92 D90. I would like to use my vehicle to do some greenlaning, to get to work safely in all winter conditions, and also to go on some of my own land. I have looked through the mags at tyres and it seems the BF Goodrich AT KO's are well recommended, so unless there's any sage advice to the contrary I've pretty much decided to get that make. However, what size should I get? My initial instinct is wider is better for ultimate grip, so I've been eyeing up the 265/75R16's supplied by Silverline4x4 for £525 inc wheels, VAT and postage. My questions are :-

a) Will they fit without rubbing on my D90
b) Is there a good reason not to go for such a large tyre?

Many thanks in advance for any help experiences and advice.

Regards,

Dave.

D

dave6509

Forgot to ask this also :-

c) The tyre is 10% bigger than stock, and one (car) site recommended against over 2.5% bigger due to the brakes not coping. Is this true for a D90?

C

curr1

Hi

I run a 1990 Defender 200tdi. I have recently put on a new set of BFGs. I opted for the 265/75 r16 and they look great and also run really well on the road.

I thought long and hard about what pattern to use. I do spend lots of time on the road but equally I wanted the grip in offroad conditions and in particular snow.

However I went for the mud pattern. In my opinion these run really well on the road and are far better than the AT Pattern off road. We have had them and they are poor in wet grass and do not self clean in mud very well.

I use my landy every day and this is the first set of muds. Previously we used BFG Trac edge which were great. However when this new set wears down they will be replaced with exactly the same. With well adjusted steering stops mine does not rub the chassis and the turning circle is not too bad either.

speedmancool

Reaction score
I know this post is from a long ago, but I just purchased a D90, and I was wondering, what wheel size do you have? What kind of wheels do you use? My Defender has 16 x 5.5 steel wheels, so I can’t use the 265/75R16 tires, since they need at least 7 inches in wheel width. What do you recommend? Thanks in advance for your advice

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I hope someone responds to your post, since the original posters are no longer on the site.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM