what to do what to do, 4runner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed again! I think we are looking for the same car. I'll be curious to see what you settle on.

I never did understand the painted painted wheel fenders on an off-road vehicle. Why not keep the part that sticks out, plastic. It is the most likely part to touch branches and such. Ahhhh, I'm probably preaching to the choir and most of you have already gotten over it...

I think we also have the same car. I love my green and can't stand the new green. I'm sort of 'ok' with a few LR4 colors, but don't love any of them. Well maybe if I can keep mine for 190k miles (about 8 years from that at this pace), there will finally be a diesel D110 here and my problem will be solved :)

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the new defender will be my next ride too. I love the outgoing defender character and size better than my LR3, but also like the EAS and creature comforts of my LR3. The new defender will hopefully merry these 4 things together in one package.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sign me up for Tonga Green as well. How many shades of beige and silver do you really need? I live in a town with a drive-on beach and there are probably 50+ LR4's. So far we have the only red one.

As much as I like the look and function of the LR3 plastic fender flares, I have to admit it is a lot easier to wax the painted ones than apply Forever Black to the plastic ones.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like BLACK. Nothing is more shiny than a clean black vehicle.

New Defender! Hahahahaha.....it'll never happen.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the new defender will be my next ride too. I love the outgoing defender character and size better than my LR3, but also like the EAS and creature comforts of my LR3. The new defender will hopefully merry these 4 things together in one package.
What's the latest on when we'll see that in the US?
It seems to take so long to get new models out...I just figured that's a pipe dream. It'll be a year or two before we see an LR5.

Sign me up for Tonga Green as well. How many shades of beige and silver do you really need?
:beer:
As much as I like the look and function of the LR3 plastic fender flares, I have to admit it is a lot easier to wax the painted ones than apply Forever Black to the plastic ones.
Yeah, maybe they'd grow on me.
I have to say, I've never Forever Black'd mine though and they still look pretty good. Maybe not as black as new, but they aren't gray. That said, I store it in the garage and live in Maryland. If you have a beach near you, yours may get a lot more harsh sun exposure. All my hard plastic though (base of windshield and top of the rear bumper) has turned to gray. I did forever black that, and it went on nice but faded kind of weird. Now it looks worse than if I'd just left it untouched.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If only LR would listen to the members of this forum when deciding what to build next...

I have been in involved in a few LR customer focus groups (one that lasted 3 days with cameras following me from sun-up to sun-down) and a constant complaint was "cheap plastic exterior parts" (fender arches, cowl panel, windshield trim, door window trim, roof track trim, dash cover, sun visors, headliner, hood emblem, roof and hood paint: for a car brand with such an Africa mystique, they don't tolerate the sun). Well they listened, except that the solution was to paint them rather than make "good plastic parts". Be careful what you ask for or if you do ask, be VERY specific.

I have on the first LR3's brought in to the US, pre-Bluetouth (I later added) now with 125,000 miles. The last few years I have tried to keep the mileage down, there is no real alternative to the LR3/4. So we wait and periodically do searches for "New 2016 Defender". What do find? A Kia Soul look alike with knobby tires. No doubt if they build that thing, it will sell well the first year or so but just like the Evoque it will fall flat in the US

All I want is a BETTER Jeep! A little bigger, a little more luxury, much more refined drive-ability, it's not a hard formula. Build it body on frame or build it out of aluminum but don't stray far (not far at all) from the iconic LR look of slab sides, vertical grill, tiered roof, lots of big glass, and a DOOR INSTEAD OF A TAIL GATE.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hope that if there's a new defender it will have a coil suspension, my air suspension has been nothing but an absolute pain! I was actually looking for a Defender instead of an LR3 but the only one I found was an almost new (1000miles) 2013 110 at the dealership, price was way too high for a uni student hahahah.

Anyhow, regarding the 4runner, I think I would also buy an LR4 or an FJ, the thing with the FJ is that on-road feel is quite clumsy tbh.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sign me up for Tonga Green as well. How many shades of beige and silver do you really need? I live in a town with a drive-on beach and there are probably 50+ LR4's. So far we have the only red one.

You lost me at wash and forever black. That's one of the things I don't like about the LR4, I'm afraid I might feel compelled to wash it. Especially now that mine is 10 years old, I just treat it like an old Jeep...which is the way I like it. I do have to cop to touching up the faded Land Rover lettering, but that's about it.

"All I want is a BETTER Jeep! A little bigger, a little more luxury, much more refined drive-ability, it's not a hard formula. Build it body on frame or build it out of aluminum but don't stray far (not far at all) from the iconic LR look of slab sides, vertical grill, tiered roof, lots of big glass, and a DOOR INSTEAD OF A TAIL GATE."

Yup.

You know, I was really excited about the idea of the FJ before it came out, but they failed to make it boxy, you can hardly see out of it, it's pretty much terrible, from the windshield back IMO. They had the perfect opportunity to make a Toyota "Jeep" and blew it. It's selling so well, I REALLY don't get why nobody is trying to make a fun simple, rugged, square "Jeep", or in the case of Land Rover, bring it here to the U.S.

I was hoping someone would have said something...anything good about the 4Runner by now but enjoying the talk.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha never been in a 4runner so I can't really have an opinion, tbh I think it is OK but the front is a bit excessive, like it is trying TOO hard not to be vanilla.

check what the Sr. says at the 00:38 - 00:43 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijr99t4kIJE

damn you. One youtube leads to another, now I'm going to be spending the whole night watching LR videos.
Yep, the 4R grill reminds me of whichever of those whales it is that just swims along and scoops up krill.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM