What to look for when buying a 2016 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donnation

Reaction score
Forgive me for starting another thread, but I didn’t want this question to get lost in my other one.

I’m going to look a second time at a 2016 LR4 tomorrow and am thinking of making an offer. It has 36,000 miles on it. It is certified Pre-owned and has the 100,000 factory warranty on it.

With that being said, are there some specific things to look for and to question about the LR4 before purchasing it? Thank you.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CPO warranty will end at either 100,000 miles or 6 years from the original sale date of the vehicle.

If you plan on off-roading at all, you'll want to find one with the HD package. On years 2014 and newer, no HD package means no low range transfer case.

In my experience, the CPO vehicles are normally some of the best vehicles on the used market. Be forewarned, however, that the CPO warranty doesn't cover everything. At around 70,000 miles, the front lower control arm bushings will wear out, and the CPO warranty does not cover them as they are considered a "wear" item. Other than that, though, the CPO warranty covers the standard things that go wrong with an LR4. Only other thing it might not cover is the battery, which seem to go fast on an LR4.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the condition of the brakes. If they are not freshly done perhaps you can get them thrown into the deal.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fact that it's a CPO vehicle is huge for peace of mind. Other than the wear items that have been mentioned, you should be covered pretty well on most other things.

When I got my current preowned LR4, it was NOT a CPO but I knew what to look for. I sat in it and tested every single button on the dash and toggled every feature especially air suspension. Listened to the engine, looked for leaks, checked tires. Checked all lights, blinkers, wipers, sunroof and screen functions. During the test drive I cycled it through all of the Terrain Response settings. Also went through the gears in CommandShift mode. I put all the seats up and down and discovered a broken latch on one of the 3rd row seats which was subsequently covered under factory warranty. I also noticed that the A/C was not blowing cold but a quick charge of refrigerant fixed that.

It was a little humorous to go into this independent used car dealer knowing more about the vehicle than the salesman. Then again, the same can be said about many Land Rover dealerships. Sad but true.

In the other thread I suggested bringing in an independent LR mechanic for a prepurchase inspection. A reputable dealership will allow this and some may allow you to drive it to an indy shop for this purpose. These typically cost $125-$150. But that CPO status really makes that unnecessary IMO. Ask for the service records which the dealership should have if they certified the vehicle. Have someone there go over them with you if necessary. Keep us posted!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM