While the engine is out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

allegro

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions regarding proactive work to have performed while the engine is out of my 2012 LR4 with 108k on the clock. What jobs would benefit from having easy access around the engine, or in the engine-less engine bay?

The truck has spent the past month at a shop in Portland following a decent front-end collision, and the engine has been removed for access to the body elements to be replaced. Mechanically, the truck has been excellent and there's no evidence that the truck suffered mechanical damage (beyond the radiator assembly). We're opting to fix the truck rather than have it totaled out - we want this thing to last for a very long time.

While the engine is out, any recommendations for proactive work to have performed? I will ask for a quote for the timing chain/guide job even though I've had no symptoms yet, and I'll also ask about front & rear cross-over pipes, and any hoses and belts that would need replacing in the next 25-50k miles. The water pump was replaced 40K ago.. maybe just do that too while the labor would be minimal (I'm guessing)? I'm due for spark plugs too.

I've read about fuel injectors sticking open on higher mileage LR4s - perhaps another candidate?

Also, since I need to buy a new bumper anyway, I'll be grabbing the ARB or Tactical Rovers bumper in an effort to mitigate this kind of front end drama down the road.

Thanks for any guidance.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the love of all that is holy do the timing chains/guides while it is on an engine stand.

Honestly, I would do just about everything while it is that easy.

Injectors
Plugs
Valve cover/pcv
Vvt pulleys
Vacuum pump
Belt tensioner
Walnut cleaning on intake valves
Front/rear crossovers
Water pump
High pressure fuel pump

Sorry for your misfortune, but this is a golden opportunity to do so many things for a fraction of the normal labor.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As noted above,valve cover gaskets. And if the passenger side one is leaking oil into the alternator (like mine was), a new alternator too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM