Will 265/65/18r rub?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I may have given up on them too soon but they didn't provide much traction off road, not that I would expect them to do well. They are also not built as well as the bfg's. I am used to stronger tires with stiff sidewalls too so those felt squishy on the road.

The only reason I ever had the Gy is because they came on the car.
I haven't heard anyone ever report highly on them though.

I can't imagine anyone would say the bfg's are not a great riding tire although it would make sense that any less aggressive tire should be smoother on the highway but the ones I had wore funny.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize. That tire listed in the OP is not the one I was thinking of.... I just looked on Tire Rack and realized this. I have only heard about them on other forums but have not used them ever.

Still, looking at their specs and literature, I'd put my money in E range bfg's before these any day.

Ozzy68

Reaction score
Love mine

Well, I ran the GY Silent Armors on my 2005 LR3 and the snow traction, off road traction and dry road handling was the best I have ever had. I don't know why people are busting on this tire. They are worth every penny in my opinion. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. I spent many days and many off-road miles in the cascades last wither and summer and had "zero problems"

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I ran the GY Silent Armors on my 2005 LR3 and the snow traction, off road traction and dry road handling was the best I have ever had. I don't know why people are busting on this tire. They are worth every penny in my opinion. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. I spent many days and many off-road miles in the cascades last wither and summer and had "zero problems"

No one busted on it here. As I said above, I confused the Silent Armor with the GY's that came on an LR3 previously and also from reviews of other people on those same tires.

The tread design looks fine on these SA but it's a little tight for muddier stuff.

Their E range sizes do not fit the LR3 either so you have to go with a tire that maxes out at 44 psi and 2271 lbs, 2469 lbs, or 2600 lbs for one that barely fits.
(unless Tire Rack is not showing all the E range sizes available)

Not my idea of the best plan regardless of traction in some conditions.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are worth every penny in my opinion. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. I spent many days and many off-road miles in the cascades last wither and summer and had "zero problems"[/QUOTE]

Wall wait until you ran 30.000 miles in them than you may say different things about them.I don't want to get there ,but if I have to , I will.My turned out to be to dangerous to drive at this mileage ,simply garbage.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are worth every penny in my opinion. I have over 10,000 miles on mine and couldn't be happier. I spent many days and many off-road miles in the cascades last wither and summer and had "zero problems"

Wall wait until you ran 30.000 miles in them than you may say different things about them.I don't want to get there ,but if I have to , I will.My turned out to be to dangerous to drive at this mileage ,simply garbage.[/QUOTE]

Well I've got 35k on mine...been in snow,mud,ice,torrential rain and numerous off road trips including two LRNR in CO and I've not had the issues you've had...maybe dumb luck on my part..I don't know :) but I am more than happy with my experience and may run them at Moab this year.

Cheers
John

_Chris_

Reaction score
Initial impression - GY Silent armor 265/65/18R

After I got these tires on, I went on a road trip back down to GA from OH. Went through some snowy conditions. The tires handled exceptionally well. No changes in the noise level.

HOWEVER, there was a little bit of rubbing in the front driver's side wheel well. NOT with the harness though - but I did relocate it to the top of frame. The only spot where it rubs is on the front inner panel of the wheel well. If the tire is turned all the way to the right, it will rub against this panel. The Fix: drilled a hole on the edge of the panel and zip tied it closer to the frame(inward).
I will post pics soon.

Overall, I am happy with the tyres. My wife and I were looking for a 'not-so rugged look but still rugged' tyre.
I think we made a good choice.

Last edited:

_Chris_

Reaction score
Two areas where I Ziptied...

dsc05658a.jpg

I painted my calipers too...

dsc05652d.jpg

the tire.....

dsc05662uw.jpg

Last edited:

Trynian