Wine on acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Primetime

Reaction score
I’m new to the forum so hello to all. Just recently bought a 2010 LR4 HSE with 93,000 miles. It replaces my beloved 1999 D2 that rolled over 200k miles but finally lost a long battle with a rotting frame. She will be missed. Anywho, I did an oil change on the new truck using a Mityvac pump. It was the first time I used it, and now that I do more research (measure twice, cut once is key here) I kept pumping the vacuum throughout the procedure instead of a few pumps and let it do it’s thing (I am saying this because I don’t know if I may have created too much suction and caused the issue Im having). Anyway, after I finished the oil change I took her for a spin. I noticed ( I’m not sure if it was there before but I “don’t think so”) that there is a low level whine upon acceleration. It happens at all speeds, but is less noticeable the faster I am going (could be just because of other noises counteracting it... wind, etc). It doesn’t seem to happen when I am in park and give her a rev. Any thoughts? Am I just being paranoid? My D2 had a bunch of “normal” driveline whines but this is kinda driving me nuts because like I said I don’t think it was there before the oil change. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been doing the Mityvac oil change for about 4+ years now and never noticed any kind of whine on acceleration in either of my LR4s. I don't go crazy with the pump but I give it a few boosts in the middle and toward the end of the evacuation cycle to get those last bits out of the tube. Basically what I'm saying is that I seem to be replicating your process but without your result. If it only happens under load then in very general terms it seems like a drivetrain/transmission issue, or it could just be your ear getting used to the sound of a different and new-to-you V8?

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't create enough suction to cause issues.

1) Did you refill with the proper amount of oil?
2) driveline whine could be a front diff or transfer case.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any chance the whine is coming from a front hub? Could be a worn out hub bearing and just a coincidence that it appeared after an oil change.

I have had some oil changes require multiple Mityvac pumps yet others flow fine without additional pumping. Must depend on the oil evacuation tube seal or maybe the temp of the oil.

Primetime

Reaction score
Phew! I’m glad I couldn’t have created enough suction to mess something up because I’ve been kicking myself since yesterday. I filled the truck with the same amount of oil that came out (about 8 quarts) and checked the electronic gauge after letting it run for a minute and then sit for ten. I switched to mobile one high mileage 5w-20 because of cost and I want to do changes every 5k miles or so... I used an oem oil filter.

It’s prob a coincidence or maybe I am just overly sensitive because it’s the first thing I did on the truck. When I took her for a spin after I was far more attentive than prior. The sound isn’t loud at all (can’t even capture it on a phone recording to post it).. almost sounds like electronic interference of some sort, and like I said it’s only when I accelerate. According to landrover dealer records the transfer case and differential oil were changed roughly 18,000 miles ago along with the lower control arms and one of the front wheel bearings. There isn’t any wobble in the stearing or when I’m braking. Is there any method to check these things or is it a ... wait until it gets worse type deal.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8qts sounds right. Does the whine change when you are cornering left or right?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM