Would love your opinion.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez. . .My two cents: Your car needs a full alignment and balancing of the tires. If the problem with vibrations continue, you are probably looking at tires with a flat spot. This happened to me on my old LR3. I finally had to get them to replace the tires (which they did and the problem went away).

If they aren't willing to do that work for you, I'd make a fuss. You obviously have some kinks in your steering system. They need to eliminate the basic stuff and see what's left.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeez. . .My two cents: Your car needs a full alignment and balancing of the tires. If the problem with vibrations continue, you are probably looking at tires with a flat spot. This happened to me on my old LR3. I finally had to get them to replace the tires (which they did and the problem went away).

If they aren't willing to do that work for you, I'd make a fuss. You obviously have some kinks in your steering system. They need to eliminate the basic stuff and see what's left.
jptruck is right, you may need to make a fuss. I know the dealership is nice and working on some things, but honestly man, this is a BRAND NEW truck and your problems are above and beyond what many of us have seen with a new LR4.

I would 100% be pursuing talking to Land Rover USA and do not stop bugging them.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys,

I have CCd every email to LRNA and they have been calling back every now and then to check on the situation.

Before i could ask, the sales manager told me that he found the shimmy, checked the alignment and got the print out/hard copy of it (at my request) and now he is going to balance the wheels.

I sent him and LRNA videos of front end rattle/noise which i was able to film, but i have told him to not do anything with this problem, unless they find something obvious during inspection. Reason is they have already tried to re-create/duplicate the noise and have been unsuccessful, maybe that type of small bumps are not in their area, and i just dont want them keep driving the car around if the end result is zero. I would rather test drive the truck with someone from a nearby dealership, so i can demo it them live near my house where i can almost every time duplicate the noise.

I will be posting videos on youtube for you guys to look at shortly.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By removing the front grill, front arch, and headlight they'll be able to view the large corner clip that secures the bumper to the body. On my d3 I've taken the bumper off twice, they should be able to quickly determine the cause of the misalignment.

Here's a video showing the steps for removing the bumper. There's 2 other videos that go along with this one.
http://youtu.be/oyo9cjVi8_k

Thanks for posting this video, appreciate it.

LR4TQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, sucks to hear news about the new LR...doesn't matter if this is a $49k, $65k truck...even a brand new Kia shouldn't have to deal with these issues.

Anyway, glad to hear LRNA is contacting you and the dealer is trying to make things right.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the videos I was able to film and in these you can hear the knock/rattle noise. If you use headphones, you can clearly hear them.

As the car approaches the end of street, the right (passenger side) front wheel goes over a small bump (near a pole and blue/green dumpster) and there you can clearly hear the knock. You can see this bump in the videos shot during the day (IMG_893 and IMG_891)

Here is the description:

Video name IMG_877: You can hear the noise:
IMG 0877 - YouTube

Video name IMG_872: You can hear the noise:
IMG 0872 - YouTube

Video name IMG_891: Loud noise can be clearly heard:
IMG 0891 - YouTube

Video name IMG_893: This time the rattle did not happen, so there is no noise to be heard. This is a good example of how it should be:
IMG 0893 - YouTube

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More videos, different location. Again, use of headphones will make it easier to hear the noise.

Getting off a parking lot, as the front left wheel drives off the raised edge of the sidewalk and onto the street, you can hear the noise/rattle again:
IMG 0886 - YouTube

You can hear the noise as the right front wheel drives off the cemented area made for the bus to stop. This cemented area is a couple of inches higher than the rest of the road, so as the front right wheel drives off of it, the rattle/knock happens and you can hear the noise:
IMG 0861 - YouTube

This time the rattle/noise did not happen and there was no noise, so this an example of how it should be:
IMG 0876 - YouTube

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to me that the couple of instances where you cannot hear the noise is when you go over the same bump / broken pavement at a very low speed. Otherwise, the muted clunk is very easy to hear, with or without headphones, and it should be easy to reproduce during a test drive with a tech in the passenger seat as it definitely seems to originate on that side of the vehicle. Could be something as silly as a clamp on the sway bar bushings not being torqued quite enough, but still... That would drive me crazy on a new car, too. Something must have happened to your car, somewhere during the journey between the UK plant and your dealership.

Last edited:

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with umbertob on this one. I would seriously think about putting all these items together and claiming to LR that your car was wrecked or damaged in transport. It's seriously odd to have so many issues with the front end of the car on a new vehicle. Either the assembly line guys were drunk that day (possible) or your car experienced a rogue wave somewhere on it's Atlantic voyage.

I hate to say it, but I'd almost consider getting legal advice on this one. I don't like lawsuits because only lawyers win when there's a "gray" argument, but maybe the threat will make them take some action. Are you in California (looks like it on the video)? I don't know what the laws are there, but I'd check.

horacioad

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm with umbertob on this one. I would seriously think about putting all these items together and claiming to LR that your car was wrecked or damaged in transport. It's seriously odd to have so many issues with the front end of the car on a new vehicle. Either the assembly line guys were drunk that day (possible) or your car experienced a rogue wave somewhere on it's Atlantic voyage.

I hate to say it, but I'd almost consider getting legal advice on this one. I don't like lawsuits because only lawyers win when there's a "gray" argument, but maybe the threat will make them take some action. Are you in California (looks like it on the video)? I don't know what the laws are there, but I'd check.

I agree! I was talking to a friend of mine, one of those so called attorneys, and he mentioned that a brand new vehicle that gets "damaged" during shipping/transportation is not considered as being on an accident, therefore still has a clean record. In WI for example, a kamikaze deer hit my LR3, and $6000.00 insurance claim later, it still showed as a "clean and accident free" vehicle. So, i guess that they can drop the truck off a crane and still be accident free.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635