Yet another AT tire ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, not another guy asking about tires. :stupid:
I am having a hard time deciding between the Cooper Zeon and the General Grabber AT2 Which is almost identical to the classic BFG AT KO both in a 285-60. I am in northern mich I like to get off on the trail when I can usually 4-8xs/yr. what are your thoughts?
Which will be better on the trail?
How about in the snow? Don''t have a problem with siping the zeon.
I don't care about on the hwy off road and snow are my concerns. Not interested in the GYSA I want somthing more agressive.
Sorry about posting another tire question.
Sure wish they made a mt in a 285-60 or 265-65 I would get them siped and run with them.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=17
:hmmmm2:

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For me (after having Nitto TG's) the extra ply in the sidewall made me choose the BFG AT/KOs. I'm on rocks alot and a couple of times I was worried about the sidewall durability of the Nittos (although they held up for almost 25K miles).

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the BFG's primarily for the severe winter rating and having had several inches of snow, sleet, ice and the traction is so good its not fun. They do really well off road too.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Generals can be studded and - I think, not 100% sure though since TireRack doesn't say in the specs - they are rated for severe winter driving (snowflake logo) even in studless form, so if you drive over ice/snow on a regular basis I guess they would make a good choice, way cheaper than the BFGs. They have a lower speed rating, but if you use them mostly off road and don't care about hwy, those E-load AT2s sure look good on paper as both off-road and winter tires.

PS: Too bad they only have a couple left in stock. :wink:

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are on backorder all over the place called general they are supposed to pump out more n feb

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The major diff between the AT2 and BFG AT's is that the Generals don't have the same plies and belting. No idea if the tread compound is comparable, though the pattern certainly is.

BFG tests the heck out their tires and the AT has been around in one form or another for a long time now. It's a good tire. If I had to choose and cost was an option, I'd go with none of the three you listed. They are too big! Can't fit snow chains over them. If you don't need chains, then I'd pick the proven BFG or the more affordable Cooper.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking at he generals rubber copound compaird to the bfgs the other day. The Generals is softer and the voids are somewhat wider. Some of the off road tests done I have read, They liked the General better But the weaker side-wall is somthing to think about. I was on the uk site and it sound like the week sidewall has been an issue over their with the general. I think that, If they bumped up the sidewall it would surpass the bfg. The compound was significantly more pliable more like a mt where as the bfg is fairly stiff. I was supprised they put a 60k mile warr on it.
I don't need chains, I have thought about getting a set to use when I hit the trail in the winter but that is one run a year so no big deal. I will get around alot better in the deep stuff with the either. I have been running the avon for the last 20k miles made a purchase with out researhing the capabilities of the rig when I got the LR3 home the GYs were shot so I put on some rubber QUICK. It is a great ALL-SEASON but I want an AT.

Last edited:

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I think I have FINALLY decided on which tires to order. I was between the General Grabber AT2, BFG ATKO, Hankook Dynopro atm rf10 ,and the Cooper Zeon LTZ.

THe Grabber and BFG are about the same with the bfg having a stronger sidewall. It looks like the Hankook Beats the BFG off road from the testing between the 2, So that DQ's th BFG & General. I was Leaning real ******* the HANKOOK ; But the Cooper Zeon LTZ looks Like it is more agressive side lugs than the Hankook And since the testing prooves the Hankook is superior to the BFG thus far. The tread pattern is veary similar to the Cooper and HankookI think I am going to go with the cooper and sipe it for winter driving Unless at the last minute I decide to go with the Hankook but I like the Extra side lug that is on the cooper. :hmmmm:

Last edited:

yrbender

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good choice. I was torn between the BFG and Coopers. BFG's has edge on winter rating and the local shop next to my house had them in stock and lifetime rotation sealed it. I would check on the siping and warranty. My take is if its so good why dont the companies just sipe them for us.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There ore some pro and cons on sipping the tires. I was going to check with discount tire and make for sure there warrantee takes care of the tire if they sipe them. That way I am not screwing myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM