Your experience about LR4 V8 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
223,000 miles on mine, 2010 HSE LUX. Just take care to follow the maintenance schedules and ensure that you change the oil more frequently. Like any vehicle mechanical things break down eventually and the previous posts have noted those.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a very positive experience with the V8 in my 2012. 86k miles.

I had a second 2016 LR4 and was surprised by how much I disliked the eco V6. Ended up getting rid of it quickly. It's not like you couldn't live with it, many do, but compared to the V8 it did feel horribly underpowered to me.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had a very positive experience with the V8 in my 2012. 86k miles.
Same here - very positive experience, 125kmi now (purchased @ 111k in early 2017).

I had a second 2016 LR4 and was surprised by how much I disliked the eco V6. Ended up getting rid of it quickly. It's not like you couldn't live with it, many do, but compared to the V8 it did feel horribly underpowered to me.
Interesting. On paper, the V6 shouldn't feel horribly underpowered. but it's also possible that the engine wasn't producing normal power levels, which is always a possibility on forced-induction motors... anything goes wrong with the supercharger (or turbocharger(s), on other marques) and power output can be awful. It's hard to know for sure without having driven other examples of the same vehicle, and/or doing some acceleration tests with a stopwatch to compare against magazine test data.

:confused:

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still smile every time I punch it on an on-ramp and merge rapidly into the freeway, even when loaded with people and gear. I went from a 4-cyl turbocharged Subaru to a 6-cylinder 4Runner to the 5.0 V8 in the LR4 and it's my favorite engine so far. Bought my 2013 at 72,000, and currently only at 82,000 and really enjoying it. Like we've repeated ad nauseum in other posts, when you get it, just spend the $1000 and replace the coolant crossovers (and probably the water pump while you're in there) and then get it on regular maintenance intervals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same here - very positive experience, 125kmi now (purchased @ 111k in early 2017).

Interesting. On paper, the V6 shouldn't feel horribly underpowered. but it's also possible that the engine wasn't producing normal power levels, which is always a possibility on forced-induction motors... anything goes wrong with the supercharger (or turbocharger(s), on other marques) and power output can be awful. It's hard to know for sure without having driven other examples of the same vehicle, and/or doing some acceleration tests with a stopwatch to compare against magazine test data.

:confused:
Its just one man's impression of course [emoji846] but for someone who likes the LR4 platform enough to have owned two at the same time (amazed me actually), that's how poorly it struck me - particularly underwhelming on take-off. I also found the eco engine shutoff annoying.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eco shutoff would drive me insane. I assume there's some way to disabled that though. If not, yeah, I'd never want to own a V6 version.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eco shutoff would drive me insane. I assume there's some way to disabled that though. If not, yeah, I'd never want to own a V6 version.
I think people who learned to live with it learned to hit the 'eco off button' as a matter of course, everytime they started-up.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think people who learned to live with it learned to hit the 'eco off button' as a matter of course, everytime they started-up.

Luckily my BMW has a non-resetting defeat button. It's also a stick, so I could just keep the clutch in as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA