1999 Disco sunroof leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rikk

Reaction score
I know this is an old subject, but can't find a solution for the following problem :-(
I have read practically every posting on the web about Discovery I leaking sunroof ( in my case the rear one)
I have started by replacing the rubber seal, bought a original new, from UK, as expected no real improvement.
Subsequently I have lowered the ceiling as per Land Rover Manual, checked the drain hoses, which were properly connected , no leaking there, they were flattened though by the ceiling !! I checked whether they would let water through by pouring water from outside onto the 'scupper", the hoses drained the water at the rear of the Disco , all fine.
The plastic "scuppers" are attached to the 2 front corners of the metal roof pan with old factory black silicone, slightly leaking there, removed old silicone, I resealed with 3M Scotch Industrial sealant #800, tested again by pouring water from outside, no leaking , all fine.
However lots of rain gets somehow into the metal roof pan, which is not only open at the top but also has a lot of holes for plastic tabs ( probably from roller blinds ), apparently this metal pan is not supposed to catch any rain water at all but it does, it has an open connection to the front corners, the plastic " scuppers" .
Those scuppers do absolutely nothing when the car is parked on a slope :) , the rain runs straight to the back of the metal pan and gets on the ceiling backing from there into my Disco, leaking like crazy

this is a nightmare, I don't seem to find a reason why all that rain goes the way it does, anyone any ideas or suggestions, help, it's pouring

cheers

katsxfour

Reaction score
:(

Same problem here! I am stumped, thinking about taking my Disco II to a dealer.

rikk

Reaction score
my solution after my initial "fixes"
took the whole darn thing out, as per Landrover manual, cleaned off any old silicone and residue on the metal roof with alcohol and plastic scraper, inserted hard plastic pieces of pipe into the flattened areas of the drain hoses ( use white vaseline and heat the hoses ! )
the part of the metal roof that holds the plastic sun roof trim is a ****** piece of wobbly sheet, like a beer can, supported that in some areas with pieces of pipe insulation, then put an inner bead of Scotch #800 and an outer bead of black Scotch Super Weatherstrip onto the outside metal roof, then put back the sunroof and clamped it, had to use several improvised spacers to get it flat on the metal roof, the plastic was totally warped, many copper inserts on the bottom side of the plastic trim were just falling out, improvised with self tapping screws. because there were still gaps under the plastic trim on the outside I put an extra bead of black Super Weatherstrip ( my Disco is black so does not show to badly)
wow, what a stress job !! long story short: it's water tight, no more leaking. if it ever starts again I will have to buy a new sunroof assembly or at least a new plastic trim for it, no hope in hell I can ever re use it one more time
hope this helps, have some pics in case anyone wants them

katsxfour

Reaction score
Learning

I have poured water in the two front drains, and they are clear. Back drains I tried to clear, but it wasn't as easy as the front. Still, when it rains water comes out the center of the headliner, also leaks in the front where the headliner meets the windshield. I'm not sure what to use to put down the drains in the back. My husband hasn't been to willing to help me fix the few things on my Rover. So I have been reading and reading the threads to see how I can do some fix it stuff myself. I have learned so much:) With the cold temperatures I haven't attempted the sunroofs a second time.

Beth~disco II 1999

fivespddisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see the sunroofs leaking from in between the plastic frame and the body of the truck. The way to fix this is to take apart the sunroof and caulk underneath that first layer. The original factory had two face sticky tape and as time goes on this part is failing allowing water to leak into the truck.

rikk

Reaction score
hi, thanks for your help, I posted a similar final conclusion about the plastic frame and the body appr. 2 days ago , but somehow my posting went astray ??

cheers

rik

Rev Leland Core

Reaction score
Learning

I have poured water in the two front drains, and they are clear. Back drains I tried to clear, but it wasn't as easy as the front. Still, when it rains water comes out the center of the headliner, also leaks in the front where the headliner meets the windshield. I'm not sure what to use to put down the drains in the back. My husband hasn't been to willing to help me fix the few things on my Rover. So I have been reading and reading the threads to see how I can do some fix it stuff myself. I have learned so much:) With the cold temperatures I haven't attempted the sunroofs a second time.

Beth~disco II 1999
I was so afraid of this while working on my D2, thought I had it sealed properly, going to take the rear sunroof out and seal it from the outside and then come into the cab, we just got series of down pours here in the states... and now I have water coming into the rear sunroof... darn... darn... darn...

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Sunroof leaks are cause by two things. Drains being clogged and the window has gotten loose/misaligned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV