2011 LR4 Lower Control Arm Replacement/Front Shock Compression issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm new here, and posting because I'm having an issue with the replacement of the front lower control arm on one side. Specifically, the ball joint stud is in place, the two bushings are likewise in place, but not free to move (not torqued yet), however the shock is several inches below where it needs to be in order to bolt it up. The suspension is locked in access mode. Trying to use a floor jack to compress the shock so that it can be bolted results in the shock "pushing" out the jack as the shock itself is angled outwards. Has anyone had a similar challenge? I did not have this same issue when doing the other side, but in case it matters, when I did the driver side the whole front was jacked up level (not just the side i'm working on).

Appreciate any advice you can offer.

Thanks.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
are you sure you had it locked in access mode?
it sounds like as you jacked the car up it may have inflated the strut trying to auto-adjust.

the first hing that comes to mind is deflate the strut in order to allow you to compress the shock. slowly loosen the airline at the top of the shock.allow it to deflate. compress shock as you install the lower bolt. tighten airline.

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Thank you DaytonaRS7. I'm pretty sure that it's locked in access mode. I've not ever tried deflating the shock itself. Will the system re-pressurize it automatically even if fully deflated? Is it pretty safe and easy to deflate?

Are there any other options?

Thanks again,

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you DaytonaRS7. I'm pretty sure that it's locked in access mode. I've not ever tried deflating the shock itself. Will the system re-pressurize it automatically even if fully deflated? Is it pretty safe and easy to deflate?

Are there any other options?

Thanks again,

ive deflated my suspension once, using the IID tool. this keeps it from reinflating.

I am unsure if the compressor will kick on to try and reinflate the suspension if done the way I described to you. I would like to think not, but you certainly could burn out the comrpessor if it does. maybe pull the fuse to be safe?

once the repair is done and air line is tightened, reinstall fuse and turn start the car. it should auto inflate to level itself out.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely need to deflate the strut. I ended up ditching the Jack and pressing it into place by hand--Definitely impossible without deflating.

Barring access to the gap tool, @DaytonaRS7 suggestion is the best.

mflecklr3

Reaction score
I've always thought control arms had to be replaced in pairs (Left/Right). You definitely need to let the air out of the system and there are youtube videos showing how to do this manually. The car will self-level every so often and you'll need to disable that process by pulling the fuse or leaving a door open.

Marco Pizzolo

Reaction score
Thanks everyone,

Found the problem. Turned out that jacking up the other side of the front allowed me to fit the shock bolt through the lower control arm. That said, I realized the next issue... will see if anyone on this forum can shed some insight.

Thanks again for the assist.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut