2012 fault lights!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

therovershoppe

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Land Rover LR4 and I am completely frustrated w the unreliable pos!!!... I had all brakes and rotors replaced twice, brake switch, front end replaced, water pump replaced, and parking brake replaced at $1600!!! All w the dealership saying this could be what’s causing the fault lights to come on.

When I start the LR4 up in the morning after it’s been sitting for a while usually no fault lights... only after driving for a little while they come on !!! Truck lowers and drives like **** because it basically feels like you have no shocks when lowers.

Faults that come on are red brake light, Amber brake light , transmission fault , and HDC whatever!!!

This has been going on for 1 year and I swear no one knows *** is going on..

They are thinking maybe the computer needs to be replaced!!! But can’t make any promises!! It will probably cost close to $2000 to do

Has anyone had this problem?? Any help would be great! I’m losing my mind w this LR4

therovershoppe

Reaction score
You should check the grounds at the frame rail first. Low voltage can cause these faults. I'm guessing you've had the battery tested?

Livid killer

Reaction score
Bro! Change the brake light switch. You can tell it failed when you pul it out and visually inspect it. Some of the leads will be burnt or dark with corrosion. Get back to us and take a pic of your brake light switch.

stl8grey

Reaction score
I been down a " code" issue journey with our LR4 that lasted a few months. If you do not trust the shop, and if you are going to start trying to work on it yourself, get a good scope/scanner. Learn to read it in live data format. Make certain you are getting proper voltage to everything. Then, you will have to locate the sensor you believe is the culprit. Then you will have to test the sensor and power providing harness. Then you replace that sensor and clear the codes and new weirdo codes pop up a few days later. It is so much fun!!! You will solve it. Hang in there! Yet, after all of the chaos, they ride sooooo goooood.

rjowenusa

Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 started throwing HDC, Suspension, and Transmission faults. Also the steering would get heavy. Replaced the brake switch, cleaned all the connectors etc. myself to no avail. Took it to my local independent LR workshop who then started switching out Steering pump, steering rack, ECU's, Suspension pump without any success. The problem (3 months later) turned out to be water in the conduit that runs front to back under the driver's seat. The drain from the sunroof had failed and the rain collected in the conduit, corroding the connectors in the conduit. The workshop (shout out to British Auto Solutions Katy, TX) cleaned the connectors and all was well. Great cars (I have four) but a royal PITA at times! Codes didn't help at all!

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2006 LR3 started throwing HDC, Suspension, and Transmission faults. Also the steering would get heavy. Replaced the brake switch, cleaned all the connectors etc. myself to no avail. Took it to my local independent LR workshop who then started switching out Steering pump, steering rack, ECU's, Suspension pump without any success. The problem (3 months later) turned out to be water in the conduit that runs front to back under the driver's seat. The drain from the sunroof had failed and the rain collected in the conduit, corroding the connectors in the conduit. The workshop (shout out to British Auto Solutions Katy, TX) cleaned the connectors and all was well. Great cars (I have four) but a royal PITA at times! Codes didn't help at all!

Joel (British Auto Solutions) is a good guy. He has helped me out numerous times. He is one of two guys that I have let work on mine besides myself.

NeilP

Reaction score
Short of a short-circuit caused by water ingress corrosion ( good luck with that ! ) , look at the valve block distribution for the compressed air suspension.
It can only be vented through that valve assembly box . If that faults , it'll lower the bags to the bump-stops . It's a cheap part and easy to fit .
Following a trail of codes causes more confusion than clarity imho . It's possible to over-think these problems .

georgekale

Reaction score
Sorry guys .... I wasn’t explaining 100%.... When I 1st brought LR4 in they pulled codes ... I brought to Autozone and they pulled many codes also right before I brought to dealer... the next day the dealer pulled up many codes also but were completely different than Autozone codes.... now this was last year... They thought it was the brakes and rotors , front and back.... Had them replaced! No luck fault light still on.... Next step was front end ... meaning the upper and lower control arms replaced.... still no luck... also changed the brake switch under brake pedal... still no luck!!!.... next thing to go was the water pump because it was leaking.... nothing to do w the fault light.... I the meantime dealership changed the brakes again thinking I had possibly bad new rotors installed the 1st time... no charge.... still no luck!!! Fault lights again after they clear.... And last was the parking brake failing making an unbelievable loud noise and locking up.... had that repaired by itself for $1600 !!! Ridiculous!!! And guess what!! Still these effing fault lights coming on and LR4 lowers and drives terrible.... seems these fault lights clear over night ... next morning starts up w no fault lights..... then after a small drive or after a couple of starts faults come back on..... Absolute nightmare and before I change the main computer at probably $2000 I want to make sure that this is the problem finally.... I will never buy another Land Rover/Range Rover again.... Sorry first time on this site and didn’t explain exactly what’s going on

I have been a Certified Technician for over thirty years. I have run across customers just like you. They bought something they don't understand.
You should trade-it-in an buy something domestic. I would recommend you stay away from any European imports and stay with domestic vehicles.
Auto Zone with their generic scanner is your first stop for your Land Rover problems, confirms your knowledge of your vehicle.
Dealership spends thousands for scanner to diagnosis you land Rover, if you knew that you would have gone to the dealer first. What can you buy at Auto zone to fix for your LR?
Battery, Anti-freeze, wax, etc.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV