2012 LR4 - Ticking saga...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have found a lot of variation chain noise in these engines. Often when people have chain repairs done the shops take a shortcut and change only the tensioners. It is also common for shops to change the two cam chains and leave the shorter chain to the high pressure pumps, because that requires engine removal. We have seen a number of these trucks that had budget cam repair, where the whole job had to be done over because the shortcuts left a noisy motor. I'm not saying that is your problem, because I have not heard your motor, but it is a possibility.

As others have suggested there is also injector noise and other mechanical noises from the belt driven accessories

Interesting point.

I had thought you could do the accessory drive chain at the same time as the cam chains.

You work in a Rover store or as an indie?

Kabooom2199

Reaction score
Mine has an awful tick that is most likely a lifter. Cold weather it is extremely loud. In the hot weather, you can't even hear a tick. Does weather effect yours. I put lifter quiet in and it went away for about a week but came back in cold weather.

Bruce m Fournier

Reaction score
So I have owned 3 Rovers with the 5.0 motor...none have been as noisy as this one...rhythmic tic, tic, tic varying in speed with the RPM's. Have had the timing chains done to take that out of the equation...not much change in the tick. Trying to get information on the fuel pump cam follower but not much out there or how to remedy...do these things have noisy lifters? Just never had a motor make suck a racket while idling. Motor just turned 100k.

Suggestions?
mine has this same ticking. so many opinions of what it is ( outside of a quirk my dico has) two mechanics told me it was because the sleeve is aluminum and it is a linear tick from heat. i have a no water coolant in it. supposed to be better, and a stp treatment at each oil change. same ticking 200,138 miles so far. i've learned to live with it. starts out quiet but after a very few minutes tic tic tic on the drivers side of the motor.

Graeham B

Reaction score
I go to an indie in Atlanta, and they seem very reputable and they say the ticking is from the injectors, once it's over 1500 rpm you don't really hear it anymore. But man, at idle it sounds like a diesel. I filmed it, but I can't seem where to put it. Do you upload to YouTube and link it in? Sorry, new to forums...

Cthehentz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At cold start up mine made no metallic noise, if I drove to say the store then after restart it sounded like a diesel but no all the time and also I noticed when slowing to a light or stop sign with the windows down you could slightly hear the same noise. I paid a shop to just replace everything, the driver side was good but the passenger side tensioner was loose or not holding its lockout and the chain was flapping. The motor is dead silent minus the slight noise from the injectors you can barley hear them. Something I have noticed is they all seem to suffer the same exact issues from a heat shield rattle to the random hood latch alarm failures. If you are concerned have the dealer diagnose it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM