2012 LR4 - Ticking saga...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nolift911

Reaction score
So I have owned 3 Rovers with the 5.0 motor...none have been as noisy as this one...rhythmic tic, tic, tic varying in speed with the RPM's. Have had the timing chains done to take that out of the equation...not much change in the tick. Trying to get information on the fuel pump cam follower but not much out there or how to remedy...do these things have noisy lifters? Just never had a motor make suck a racket while idling. Motor just turned 100k.

Suggestions?

nolift911

Reaction score
Not sure - do they make rhythmic noises with RPM'S...? I have heard some engine injectors make a pulse/quick ticking noise...this sounds more metal on metal to me.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the cooling fan? Technician described it as a "bad fan clutch" and once replaced the additional noise was gone.

John Robison

Reaction score
We have found a lot of variation chain noise in these engines. Often when people have chain repairs done the shops take a shortcut and change only the tensioners. It is also common for shops to change the two cam chains and leave the shorter chain to the high pressure pumps, because that requires engine removal. We have seen a number of these trucks that had budget cam repair, where the whole job had to be done over because the shortcuts left a noisy motor. I'm not saying that is your problem, because I have not heard your motor, but it is a possibility.

As others have suggested there is also injector noise and other mechanical noises from the belt driven accessories

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9