2014 Range Rover Sport - NY Autoshow Next Month

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, next month at the NYC autoshow LR will reveal the new RRS. Have you guys seen the spy pics? It looks like a smaller Range Rover with a lot of the Evoque DNA. At first I almost got sick... but after studying it, it may be quite nice. Any thoughts on this? How will this "the future is now" trend affect the LR5? Watered down and positioned as a LR3 - leaving the defender as the only utilitarian option? I'm scared.

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's a link regarding the new RRS... there are better spy shots in Google images... but still, you get the gist and where LR is going. I have a bad feeling about the LR5...

http://www.carsuk.net/new-range-rover-sport-set-to-debut-at-new-york-auto-show/
Ugh! :-( I agree there are some nice aspects about it and likely the inside will be lovely, but I am just not happy with this new "soft" rounded design.

Something tells me a lot of us will stick with the LR4 - even once the LR5 comes out.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh! :-( I agree there are some nice aspects about it and likely the inside will be lovely, but I am just not happy with this new "soft" rounded design.

Something tells me a lot of us will stick with the LR4 - even once the LR5 comes out.

Yeah, it looks like Land Rover has gone completely soft. I think the RRS looks like a little sister of the RR and is a mistake, because the sport was always a stand-alone design, black sheep somewhat, that fit a select buyer, and I also think using the Evoque as their design benchmark is another mistake indeed because that concept car look gets very tired after a few years. Why they want the entire line to look the same is beyond me. What made LR so unique, is that each model was so different and fit a particular person... now they are going for the masses... one look fits all. So, bummed. I saw some spy shots of the LR5 (Disco 5) and it was one lame looking duck... made for soccer Moms... and RR and RRS is now made for bankers and suits only. And the Evoque is for iPhone hipsters who have some money... So where does that leave us?

Land Rover has completely abandoned its "If it ain't broken, why fix it" philosophy.

I know two years from now all of these cars will probably look great and I'll end up drooling and owning one of them... and looking back to these negative posts in shame... but for now, all this change is hard to deal with!

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it looks like Land Rover has gone completely soft. I think the RRS looks like a little sister of the RR and is a mistake, because the sport was always a stand-alone design, black sheep somewhat, that fit a select buyer, and I also think using the Evoque as their design benchmark is another mistake indeed because that concept car look gets very tired after a few years. Why they want the entire line to look the same is beyond me. What made LR so unique, is that each model was so different and fit a particular person... now they are going for the masses... one look fits all. So, bummed. I saw some spy shots of the LR5 (Disco 5) and it was one lame looking duck... made for soccer Moms... and RR and RRS is now made for bankers and suits only. And the Evoque is for iPhone hipsters who have some money... So where does that leave us?

Land Rover has completely abandoned its "If it ain't broken, why fix it" philosophy.

I know two years from now all of these cars will probably look great and I'll end up drooling and owning one of them... and looking back to these negative posts in shame... but for now, all this change is hard to deal with!
Change is always hard, especially when it comes to keeping a car brand like Land Rover "iconic" and true to its roots.

With that said, like you, I will likely always own a Land Rover and grow to accept the new designs - but I will continue to complain.

Where does that leave us, you ask? Well, I'd love a Defender as long as it does not sway from its roots. Oh, and it would need to FINALLY be available in the US market.

I am just so nervous that the 5th generation Discovery is going to be some bloated Evoque.

We shall see!

-David

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new Mark IV Range Rover a lot (still getting used to the Ford Explorer-like front end though, too "busy" for my taste) after having seen it in the flesh around the streets of LA for a while now, I don't believe it's such a radical departure from the MkIII, it looks very elegant and conservative, like the model it replaced. We should reserve judgement of the new Sport until it is revealed, I think it will look like a Range Rover but will not be mistaken for an Evoque or a mini version of the flagship, just like the current model has its own character and unique personality in the range. I have faith that the designers at Land Rover are not complete morons that will destroy the classy work done up to now and make the entire lineup of their new models look the same, except in different sizes. :wink:

Have you guys seen the new Jeep Cherokee? Now, that's an ugly car with a capital U... If I was a Jeep owner I'd be worried sick after seeing that thing hitting the road. But Land Rover? Nah. We aren't giving their designers enough credit.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the new Mark IV Range Rover a lot (still getting used to the Ford Explorer-like front end though, too "busy" for my taste) after having seen it in the flesh around the streets of LA for a while now, I don't believe it's such a radical departure from the MkIII, it looks very elegant and conservative, like the model it replaced. We should reserve judgement of the new Sport until it is revealed, I think it will look like a Range Rover but will not be mistaken for an Evoque or a mini version of the flagship, just like the current model has its own character and unique personality in the range. I have faith that the designers at Land Rover are not complete morons that will destroy the classy work done up to now and make the entire lineup of their new models look the same, except in different sizes. :wink:

Have you guys seen the new Jeep Cherokee? Now, that's an ugly car with a capital U... If I was a Jeep owner I'd be worried sick after seeing that thing hitting the road. But Land Rover? Nah. We aren't giving their designers enough credit.

The new RR has grown on me a little too but I agree, it's a little soft. I know the common thought is that it has some Ford Explorer ques but I see the front looking more like a Taureg.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have only had mine for a few weeks and the MKIII already looks "old school" to me, however I wish they had kept the round taillights.

Don't forget that Ford still owned LR when this design was created and Ford stole alot of things from LR and Volvo. Ford spends way less time testing their stuff, so they were able to get their Explorer out first. I'm sure LR is not happy about them copying deign details...

Last edited:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I am a being a bit "harsh" on the new designs, as I think the 2013 Range Rover is brilliant - beautifully engineered! I am just really old fashioned when it comes to Land Rover design.

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Have you guys seen the new Jeep Cherokee? Now, that's an ugly car with a capital U... If I was a Jeep owner I'd be worried sick after seeing that thing hitting the road. But Land Rover? Nah. We aren't giving their designers enough credit"

I can't believe that is the new Jeep Cherokee.They were pretty decent looking in the last couple of years, but this redesign is really terrible!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM