2015LR4: Best H8 (Group 49) AGM Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

portlandlife

Reaction score
Interstate came in our Rover and it's been a good battery. I just replaced our X5 battery with a Duralast H8 AGM from Autozone w/ 3 year warranty. 3 years is what I usually get out of our batteries. It's down the street so it made it simple and for $199 seemed like a good enough deal.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if these are available in the USofA but for any Canadian you need to be going through Costco Canada for an Energizer. The warranty is crazy. With the way rovers eView attachment 12533 at batteries this will be the last one I ever buy.

Screenshot 2021-02-18 203704.png

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a great warranty. I don’t think we have Energizer brand car batteries at Costco here - at least not in California. In fact, I don’t remember seeing Energizer brand batteries in the US at any store.

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that’s a great warranty. I don’t think we have Energizer brand car batteries at Costco here - at least not in California. In fact, I don’t remember seeing Energizer brand batteries in the US at any store.

that warranty intrigued me to look.
H7 battery is energizer part number EA95-L5.
I am not sure what car uses a H8, so i cant find that part number.

anyway, google does not lead me to any US suppliers of energizer auto batteries.sad. that, almost lifetime, warranty would be amazing.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be a Canada thing. No idea who makes the energizer. I had to spec a 2010 Range Rover to get a H8. When I tried the USA Costco site it says "unavailable".

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like its made by JCI/Clarios - same as interstate and the other brands mentioned earlier in the post. Yes, when you look for the batteries via make/model at costco (or any other store for that matter), the LR4 will only pull up the H7. Need to put in Range Rover to get the H8, but it fits and works. Costco told me the AGMs are out of stock nationwide, but other stores seem to have them.

jagmandan

Reaction score
I've had good luck so far with Duracell AGM from Batteries Plus. 48 month warranty. It's a rebranded Deka Intimidator.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned, I think almost all batteries in USA roll out of the same couple different factories... Johnson and (forget the other one). The various brands slap their label on them. Exceptions are the boutique stuff like Optima, Braille, and lithium-ions.

I generally shop by price and warranty. EverStart can be found as low as $149 at some Walmarts, but not all stores carry the H8, and some are priced at $169. A couple years ago the nEverStart H8 was Made in Germany with five year replacement warranty. Now it's down to 4 year warranty and I'm not sure where it's made, but is still one of the best deals I know of, if available where you live:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart-Platinum-AGM-Battery-Group-h8/40647529

I've had generally bad luck with Interstates over the past 15 years, all wet/flooded, Group 48/49. They died well short of rate of rated warranty, usually with a shorted cell. I can't make myself buy Interstate again, but a lot of people seem to have good success.

Interesting anecdote: Our LR4 purchased 4 years ago came with a Declo wet/flooded battery, date coded March 2014. Yep, that's right, it is 7 years old and still going strong. Most people have LR4 batteries dying in 2-3 years. Figure that out! Only thing I may do different than other people is always drive with the fog lights on (as DRL's), and keep it on a CTEK maintainer when parked.

:eek:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9