2016 LR4 Coolant Crossover, Water Pump, Thermostat Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple hundred mls is not much. That’s probably just some air trapped in the system. I had to add some after the project (can’t remember how much), but I did the manual bleed. I wonder if you can’t effectively pressure test with that vacuum bleeder somehow. Anyway, I wouldn’t bother with it - just keep an eye on it. Should stabilize before long.

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So far seems stable.
So I did mine (pipes, every hose, Therm, WP, SC oil and coupling) Sep 2021, and I think I've had to add about 1/2-1cup of coolant several times over the last year. If it goes low (approx 1/2inch or less from fill line) again, I'll ck for leaks....

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2016 LR4, 60K miles

I am told that the fill volume for this is 151mL, but I recovered only 84mL.

No evidence of leaks and yes, I am sure I got it all out - syringe and tubing and moving SC to make sure I was getting it from all the corners of the gearbox.

New oil has no appreciable odor, used oil has very unpleasant odor, closest I can come to a description is nasty earwax.

Fill volume should be ?? Opinions....

(Does it actually ever get easy??)

UPDATE I sent SCOL photos of all the stickers and all the casting numbers and they state at 200% certainty (their words)
that the fill volume on this particular gearbox is 90mL. Nergal, the tech guy, spoke to second level support and apparently, once they had all the photos,
they said "OH, it's one of Those...". We agreed that the refill volume should be 85mL.

I think it's another case of "every Rover is unique because they are all put together using whatever is laying around that day."

View attachment 22233
@txfromwi what amount did you end up going with? I got 70ml out of mine (tipped upside down out of the vehicle). Mine looks just like yours at 85k and the smell filled the garage with just the plug out…

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
I refilled supercharger with 85mL per the recommendation from Super Chargers On Line. That plus the fact that I only removed 84mL and the manual is very insistent that the system not be overfilled.

It has gone about 2K miles since, about 1.7K of that freeway across country miles. So far so good.

Pagoda

Reaction score
I followed txfromwi’s outstanding video and got about 80ml out and put 85ml in and use the remainder of the contents of the bottle I had to do a quick flush.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I let it sit overnight as I was waiting for a new snout, and tipped it over one more time and got a couple more mls out for a total of 80; I put 85ml back in

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... MINE was 85 mL.
When Superchargers On Line got all my photos and identification they literally said "Oh, you have one of those...

I think as a general rule we need to put in roughly what we get out, and clearly there are some that live at about 85mL based on what is coming out from the comments above.

I would recommend that all future folks call SCOL when it's apart so you can get all the casing numbers and numbers on the stickers and have them double verify ....Just in case....

Turismo Kid

Reaction score
This thread is worth a bump, and @txfromwi needs a big thank you for this video.

I'm comfortable with tools, but have never done anything really more complicated than changing tires, oil, battery, etc... Real novice level stuff. I talked a retired buddy with plenty of wrenching experience into helping me through it. I went through the txfromwi video twice, and took detailed notes with time stamps to for each step I was concerned about, because of all the hard work that went into that video I felt pretty well prepared heading into this thing and we pulled it off without a hitch! Took the two of us about 13 hours to do (26 man hours, and not including a significant amount of video prep time, parts shopping etc...). We didn't work on anything from the water pump down though.

A couple of comments on how it went from my end:
Doing the service on the supercharger was brilliant. That spring had beat the crud out of the stud. Severe grooving on one side. So glad to have the new coupler in there. I got about the same amount of oil out of the drain hole in the back, but was totally unsuccessful with the syringe. I needed enlist the help of my buddy to tip it up and pour it out. It worked well enough in the end.

PCV Valve: Just one add. Anyone that has 60k+ miles and is doing this work may as well swap the PCV valve while you are in there. Some say it's possible to do without removing the supercharger, but if it's off anyway, you may as well get after it. If it hasn't been replaced already you'll likely have to do it soon. It's an inexpensive part and it literally takes 5 minutes while you are in there. I couldn't do it without breaking off the tabs, doing it without full visibility for the first time would have been rough I think.

Little Plastic Elbow: One comment regarding that little plastic elbow that goes into the water pump. When I pulled mine out the pump side end was missing a little less than 1/4" of material. Pretty scary. I replaced it with a metal one from EuroAmp. I believe that it's the same material as what receives it in the pump so I felt good about it. My water pump was replaced by the dealer under the previous owners time with the truck. That was only 20k miles ago. I guess that they didn't care to swap out any other pieces of the system down there. Anyway, I wish there was a little more detail about how that all went back in, O-ring, clip, elbow. We figured it out I guess, but without a real firm mechanical connection, just the pressure from the expanded clip in the bore, my buddy insisted on zip tying it in place... It felt really firm to me, but he felt better with the zip tie.

That connector in the back SUCKED as much as advertised. We ended up on pulling it off after we popped the supercharger. I held the unit and my buddy worked on the connector. We also removed the thin plastic cowl that crosses at the width of the engine bay right right where the hood hinges. Still that plug It was brutal. We actually had to do it twice. As after we set the supercharger back down, and plugged it back in, we realized that the supercharger was sitting on top of an electrical connector that had fallen down. There was much sadness. Not as much sadness as investing 5 hours into that clip, certainly glad we had the video.

The previous owner had the front cross overs replaced already, but while I was in there I was planning on throwing in the aluminum EuroAmp pipes as well. But they didn't fit. I guess I got a bad batch. It was fine though since I already had the revised pipes, and they were in good shape still with just 20k miles, I just popped them back on and I'll see if I can get those guys to take them back.

All in all I am really happy with it. A maddening amount of work to replace a $150 part. My check engine light is off (due to the PCV valve) my supercharger sounds great, and I don't have a single thing dripping in my driveway, and about $4,000 of potential mechanics fees still sitting in my bank.

Also feels good to clean up that rat **** that was all over the inside of this thing. (Previous owner). How did it get down under the supercharger anyway? It's like the oil cooler was it's favorite place to take a duece. Crazy.

In short thank you all for being such a great community and helping us non millionaires keep these rigs in the road, and preferably in some dirt, rocks, sand and mud! I love this truck hopefully I can get some trouble free months out of it.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update! I am glad the video helped - we gotta keep our babies purring along...

Hmm.. unfortunately the PCV valve never cross my mind when I was in there - that's really unfortunate - oh well, let's just hope it lasts a good long time!
I will put a note on the video to do the PCV valve.

I know for a fact that you are the only one ever to watch one of those videos and ask for MORE detail! And one of the very few who has watched one of those videos and actually made it all the way through!

I LOL when I see you refer to my "5-hours" comment, because it's so very buried in the video - so you actually DID watch it. LOL !

"There was much sadness" HA HA!!
And there was much rejoicing...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yciX2meIkXI

Very interesting that the aluminum pipes did not fit. I looked at some a while back and did not like the casting quality - but not sure if it was the same vendor.

I wish those plastic elbows were available in aluminum. I have not used the brass for the various reasons that I posted in other locations - probably just being overly cautious about materials of construction. When you get back in there please report how the brass is holding up - possible corrosion wise.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
okamgba1463