5.0 supercharged into an LR4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know that it's that the ECU doesn't care when you drop an LS into a disco 2, but more that the system wasn't nearly as advanced/complicated. There are many more sensors now, and more ECUs talking to one another over proprietary networks, expecting just the right message protocol.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about your plan for tuning. An aftermarket cam, or at least a cam radical enough to swap from stock, would need tuning.

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, my project is starting to move forward...slowly. I've got the block on a pallet ready to ship out for machining and sleeves.

Once that's gone, I'm going to tear down the existing SC transmission I have and try and build a billet one using Ford 6R80 performance parts. (I'll let you know how it goes)

Once the block is back we'll start going from there.

As for tuning, I was going to try and utilize Velocity AP's tuning services. That said, given how my mods are, they may/may not be able to help because everything is going to be done remotely. Aka, I can't make the trip to Canada to get their assistance in person.

Shifting gears to the engine swap:

Anything is possible with enough $$$.

However, the Disco 2 isn't nearly as technologically advanced as the D3 and D4's. More specifically, the D4's have the keyless start system. (As did the D3's). Because of that, the D4's have 7 (I think) hard VIN coded modules that all have to talk and agree to "unlock" before you can start your D4....you can't even jumper across the solenoid on the starter to get it to crank...I totally tried! These modules are: ABS, TCM, BCM, ECM, KVM, Instrument cluster, and the CJB. As I am trying to create as seamless an install as possible, I want to ensure all the existing electronics function with the new engine. Thankfully, it appears as though the SC ECM will talk to the NA LR4's systems with no issues...except getting it VIN coded to match the LR4's VIN number. Thus far I haven't found anyone willing to do that. However, I have found it's possible to use an SDD tool to program a non-vin matched ECU into the security chain. Typically this is used because the main ECU has died, and you don't want to pay the price for a brand spankin' new LR ECU. So you buy a used one and code it to the KVM system. At least that's the path I'm trying to take. In theory there's a guy running around this forum who's already done this, and the folks at mongoose have assured me they can help me through it. (Cause the SDD tool IS NOT INTUITIVE!!!!!!)

As for the LS swap, I would guess you could simply install it as a stand alone engine, and figure out a way "trick" the LR system to accept the engine parameter inputs for the gauge cluster or something. Unless you build your own gauge cluster....but at that point you're better off just getting a Disco 2 or Defender or something and going that route. Unless someone has created an interface module so the LR ECU thinks the LS engine is an AJ133....maybe? Although, I would argue dropping a Ford Coyote instead would be better as they're very similar and were both designed by Ford at the same time...and loosely based on each other. That said, none of the parts swap platforms....I've looked.

Ok, this post is now officially too long, I'll be back soon! I hope!

Last edited:

Tapps33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Tapps33 Any updates? The JLR SDD program isn’t too bad once you get to know it a little.
ill take your word on the SDD tool….standby for a DM and some potential SDD tutoring sessions! Lol

As for the project, the answer is yes and no. I had to switch the engine from the 2010 and it’s now going into the 2012…cause the “professionally diagnosed head gasket by a LR certified mechanic” turned out to be a cracked water jacket somewhere in the block. ‍That’s right, I bought a 2012 that was burning coolant and trusted the diagnosis. A full nightmare head job, block steel insert upgrades, new timing chains, injectors, coils, crossover tubes etc… and the stupid block wouldn’t hold a vacuum to charge the coolant. . I’m not proud….but there may have been more than a few “not so nice words” that came out of my mouth when I discovered the crack.

With that, I’m about 2 weeks away from finishing the Bosch infotainment into my 2010 upgrade. I’ve kinda kept it quiet until I know it’ll work…plus I’m still tracing pinouts on some of the connectors. I’m not gonna lie, I originally thought it was gonna be “sooooo” easy…and that is not the case.

Once the 2010 is buttoned up, I’ll be tearing into the SC transplant.

Unfortunately, my wife has transferred to DC ahead of the family, so my budget pretty much evaporated for this project. Thankfully I have all the parts I need to build and install it….stock. That’s right, I have to abandon my dreams of 800-1000HP …for now. I just don’t have the funds to buy all the updated stuff.

So, I would say in 3-4 weeks I should start posting about the engine and trans build. (Fingers crossed everything goes smoothly with my 2010…cause it currently has no interior what so ever). On a good/bad note, I’m moving with the kids as soon as school gets out in late May…which means I have until early April to get the transplant done…clock’s already ticking!!!!!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV