A coolant mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Let me give you some background. When I first purchased the car after a couple of weeks I received a Low Coolant Warning when the car was on a incline. I checked the expansion tank and sure enough it was almost empty. I went straight to the dealer and purchased LR coolant and topped it off. I did smell coolant. At the time I didn't know about the water pump issues and monitored for leaks. A day turned into a week and week turned into month and the coolant level never changed.

It's been 2 years now with no issues and of course I read about the water pump issues. So with 48K miles on the truck now, I take it in for service and mention to the service advisor that at one point I lost coolant but it seems to be holding. However, since I read that water pumps can go bad, can he check. Sure enough a day later he informs me that upon pressurizing the system they noticed the seals fail. So a new water pump for me...great I think.

2 days later, I start up the car in the garage and the Low Coolant warning light goes off. I immediately shut the engine off and check the expansion tank. Empty...very odd...I top it off and drive it around for 10 miles...it seems to be holding coolant or its a slow leak. I don't see any leaks under the truck.

Has anyone experienced anything like this?? I've called the service advisor twice this morning but he still hasn't responded. annoying....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the dealer didn't properly bleed the cooling system after replacing the water pump? Otherwise it would seem strange you lost all that coolant in 2 days, considering there is no obvious visible leak. Do you still smell coolant in the cabin?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible the dealer didn't properly bleed the cooling system after replacing the water pump? Otherwise it would seem strange you lost all that coolant in 2 days, considering there is no obvious visible leak. Do you still smell coolant in the cabin?

Exactly. Over time the trapped air will make its way up to the tank. Seems like a poor fill job.Just top it off. As long as there are no leaks, you are fine.

RBA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No scent of coolant in the cabin.

Perhaps it is just a poor fill job.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM