A Rover thet doesn't like fuel???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tking24854

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I never heard of this issue before. When fueling my '98 Disco, the fuel fill keeps overflowing as if the tank is full. I allow it to vent and then I can add another half gallon before it starts overflowing again. It doesn't happen all the time and I'm not sure if it's certain gas stations that may have different regulators on the gas pumps. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Rover thet doesn't like fuel???

Hi Folks,
I never heard of this issue before. When fueling my '98 Disco, the fuel fill keeps overflowing as if the tank is full. I allow it to vent and then I can add another half gallon before it starts overflowing again. It doesn't happen all the time and I'm not sure if it's certain gas stations that may have different regulators on the gas pumps. Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks, Tim

Hello tking24854:

In the fuel filling system the vapor recovery system is what actually senses when fuel is close to the nozzle. Any splashing at the nozzle will activate most filling station cutoffs. The higher the vapor to air ratio gets the closer it gets to cut off threshold in sensor at pump nozzle. The goal here is to prevent spillage or fuel over filling. This system actually works very well, and in most states in the US it is mandatory, if not in all. Sometimes just switching to another Gasoline fuel station is the answer, other times it is a filler neck issue usually. The filler neck needs to be free of any obstructions and free flowing to the tank. Corrugated fuel flex lines do not help with this issue, if you have one on your vehicle, go to the dealer and get the right hoses and install them, this will most likely cure this issue. I Know I know, the corrugated fuel lines are cheaper……. But you do need to fill the tank right?
Need to check for any obstruction in the fuel filling system. Second is the small vent hose which is adjacent to the main filling hose. This vent hose must be cleared of any obstructions, and the hose should end at the top of the tank just like the filler hose, but at different areas of the tank. Vent hoses extending in the tank for any distance can cause filling issues, vent hoses, are just that, vent, not fuel.
Bent or high angle filler necks can create a splashing of fuel that trips the filler pump nozzle safety cut-off mechanism.

These are just a few items, let us know…….

Best wishes………. Chongo
:bandit:

greg409

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto,

I'd read in forums some time ago regarding the vent pipe(next to filler neck, seen from underneath) being kinked or obstructed on d1's.

You might take a look.

At my gas station there's (2) pumps that are too sensitive for me to use - the others are ok, but I've never had overflow (knock)

luck,greg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi