Advice about getting 2012 LR4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lmwong

Reaction score
I'm looking at a 2012 LR4 with 50000 mi, no warranty. It's a nice vehicle with all the options we would want (LUX, 7 seats). 1 owner, clean carfax, serviced locally. I've never bought a car with that many miles on it and no warranty. Is it worth getting an extended warranty? We drive about 11k/year. We come from a 06 Touareg 1 v6 that just passed 100k, runs great, but need something bigger. What should I be on the look out for on a 2012 LR4? Anything need to be replaced now or soon? Big ticket items? 50k seems like a lot already, to probably reach 100k in <5 years.

I'll add that we traded in a 1999 Discovery for the Touareg and loved it, but the cost of maintenance and repairs was skyrocketing.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though not everybody will agree, I would get the warranty.
I got mine with 43k miles, always serviced by LR, and have now 70k miles on it. I've had to replace anywhere between $15k and $20k on it. Most of it covered by warranty. Do yourself a favor and try to get a CPO vehicle.
They're fantastic cars and you will love it.

lmwong

Reaction score
Even though not everybody will agree, I would get the warranty.
I got mine with 43k miles, always serviced by LR, and have now 70k miles on it. I've had to replace anywhere between $15k and $20k on it. Most of it covered by warranty. Do yourself a favor and try to get a CPO vehicle.
They're fantastic cars and you will love it.

Golly, $15-20,000 in repairs?! What may I ask happened in the 27k miles you drove it? Yikes.

I just got a quote for $6000, 60mo/60k extended warranty.

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Golly, $15-20,000 in repairs?! What may I ask happened in the 27k miles you drove it? Yikes.

I just got a quote for $6000, 60mo/60k extended warranty.

That sounds expensive but as long as it covers all you need.
I might have exaggerated a bit but here the list of what I remember
Battery
Door handles and receptors (no auto open or close, bad receptors)
Window regulators
Mirror cover (just decided to fall off)
Suspension compressor
Bushings front
Control arms and other parts front
Hub front
Height sensors back
Instrument cluster
Start module
Sat radio module
Brakes of course front and rear
Some other stuff
On top of that I went through a set of 18s LR3 rims and tires
And then realized that the Compomotive wherls were the way to go
Plus a IIDTool to correct all the faults and get me out of suspension issues

At this point most it's pretty much a new truck ;)

AxelR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did I mention that I still love my truck despite all that!!!

Trekker

Reaction score
I recently bought my 2011 LR4 HSE with 58,000 miles and 2 previous owners. I was somewhat nervous and had it checked out by my local Land Rover dealer. Everything was in great shape. The good thing about used LR's and Range Rovers and most of them never leave the pavement and are babied by their owners! Buy a used Jeep and you never know what you're going to get.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had one piece of interior fascia replaced, and a panoramic roof (glass warranty). 30K miles on my '12.

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
32k km on my 2013, which has been on the road for 22 months. Nothing had gone wrong yet. *fingers crossed*

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM