Advice on Installing Offroad Lights on Roof Rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am planning to install 4 Rigid Dually spot lights on the front of my roof rack and 2 Rigid Dually flood lights on the back of my roof rack (there are already mounting tabs). I have the lights, mounting hardware, and wiring harnesses, but I am trying to figure out the best way to run the wiring from the rack to the engine bay and then into the cabin. I see a few possible areas for running the wiring from the engine bay to the cabin, but I am stuck on how to get the wiring from the roof rack to the engine bay.

I talked to a couple LR3 guys who ran their wiring down the A pillar trim, but they said it is extremely tight and it never really fit correctly with the wires inside. I have not removed my A pillar trim yet, but I would prefer to not mess with any of the weather stripping or trim.

I thought about putting the wires in some black conduit tubing and then perhaps running them down the edge of the A pillar trim and windshield, it should clear the passenger-side windshield wiper blade. I know it will not be a completely "clean" install, but it should be barely noticeable and could be a temporary installation until I figure out some other more permanent way. I just need to figure out how to affix the tubing to the edge of the A pillar trim/windshield. Perhaps I could use some clips that sunction or stick to the windshield? I need to do a bit more research.

Before I settle on the method I described above, does anyone have any other suggestions or advice on the wiring?

Thanks so much!

Regards, David

Surfrider77

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't experience with this personally, but from what I have heard from other guys doing the same is that the A pillar plastic cover pops right off and most everyone running rack lighting will run it down underneath that A pillar cover.

You said you have the hardware on-hand, so it shouldn't hurt to pop it off and have a look for yourself. Should be fairly easy to judge the fit.

HikeNbike

Reaction score
I never installed roof lights for a few reasons:
1) I know there is routing issues, as you mentioned.
2) roof lights create hood glare (on black shine paint like mine).
3) the increased wind noise (some drivers report winding sounds).
Plus i like the look i created with a custom bumper, maybe some of you have seen the way i mounted the lights into the corners of the vehicle and fitted the light bars between the bull bars. At the end of the day, its what you want your vehicle to look like.

The idea of running the wired through conduit is good but i'm sure it will be an eye soar. I would recommend running them under the pillar but be cautious not to interfere with the Air bags that are in there.... And dont worry about fitting the wires. The LR3 guys probably used older incandescent lights that draw more power than the low amp LED Rigid's you are going to install right? I imagine you can use a smaller gauge wire that will fit better. You can fit one wire easily on each pillar (left&right) and have one switch that controls each side, you don't need a switch for each light, daisy chain at the top.

Notes about light install: DO NOT wire into factory light power or harness. Draw directly from battery, wire into a distribution panel with proper fuses/relays. Build a custom light housing as well. The best spot for the LR4 is on the panel by your knees, off to the left. Same panel as the lower air vent, let me know if you need pictures. And make sure you use these switches, they are awesome!

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/general-lights-switches.html

Any more info and i gotta charge ya! JK.. Have fun!

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds sweet Finlay!

The conduit isn't a bad idea.... is there a snorkel for the MY13 yet? Could run the wires down in a conduit along with a snorkel!!!!

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest you talk to floda over at expedition portal about how he did his rack with the same set-up that you are thinking with 4 in the front and 2 in the rear. Then I went and looked at his pictures one more time and if you look above the passenger corner of the vehicle it looks like he is able to leverage his snorkel to run the power lines down to the engine bay.
attachment.php

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never installed roof lights for a few reasons:
1) I know there is routing issues, as you mentioned.
2) roof lights create hood glare (on black shine paint like mine).
3) the increased wind noise (some drivers report winding sounds).
Plus i like the look i created with a custom bumper, maybe some of you have seen the way i mounted the lights into the corners of the vehicle and fitted the light bars between the bull bars. At the end of the day, its what you want your vehicle to look like.

The idea of running the wired through conduit is good but i'm sure it will be an eye soar. I would recommend running them under the pillar but be cautious not to interfere with the Air bags that are in there.... And dont worry about fitting the wires. The LR3 guys probably used older incandescent lights that draw more power than the low amp LED Rigid's you are going to install right? I imagine you can use a smaller gauge wire that will fit better. You can fit one wire easily on each pillar (left&right) and have one switch that controls each side, you don't need a switch for each light, daisy chain at the top.

Notes about light install: DO NOT wire into factory light power or harness. Draw directly from battery, wire into a distribution panel with proper fuses/relays. Build a custom light housing as well. The best spot for the LR4 is on the panel by your knees, off to the left. Same panel as the lower air vent, let me know if you need pictures. And make sure you use these switches, they are awesome!

http://www.sidebysidesports.com/general-lights-switches.html

Any more info and i gotta charge ya! JK.. Have fun!

Thanks so much! I should start sending you money for all your help. I actually do plan to have 2 lights installed on my ARB front bumper when I go that route, so perhaps this is lighting overkill. :proud:

With that said, you made some good points. I should just go the A pillar route, as long as I am careful about the side air bags. It would be easier if I had a snorkel, but at this point, I am not going that route. As for the wind noise, that's not a problem since I already have a LOT of road noise from the rack, etc. As for the glare, it hopefully won't be an issue since my truck is white - but it's a good point. I think that's why I am opting for the spot lights.

I am using the Rigid LED lights, so the wires are quite a bit thinner than other non-LED lights. I agree that the conduit idea will probably work, but it won't be the cleanest look. I may do it until I have time to really do a clean installation since I can mount the lights and zip tie everything in place on the rack.

I appreciate your points on the install - I may bug you again for photos once I get to the installation.

As always, awesome input!

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to suggest you talk to floda over at expedition portal about how he did his rack with the same set-up that you are thinking with 4 in the front and 2 in the rear. Then I went and looked at his pictures one more time and if you look above the passenger corner of the vehicle it looks like he is able to leverage his snorkel to run the power lines down to the engine bay.
attachment.php
Yep - I looked there too! :)

I sent an e-mail to a guy I know of who have them installed on his LR4 (he's not on the forum) and just waiting to hear back. I think they routed them into the A pillar.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds sweet Finlay!

The conduit isn't a bad idea.... is there a snorkel for the MY13 yet? Could run the wires down in a conduit along with a snorkel!!!!
I believe so. While I like the snorkel, I'm not ready to get one yet. Thanks!

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't experience with this personally, but from what I have heard from other guys doing the same is that the A pillar plastic cover pops right off and most everyone running rack lighting will run it down underneath that A pillar cover.

You said you have the hardware on-hand, so it shouldn't hurt to pop it off and have a look for yourself. Should be fairly easy to judge the fit.
I just have to pop it off, but like a lot of trim on the LR4, it's a bit scary because it is almost like you break it every time!!! :)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe so. While I like the snorkel, I'm not ready to get one yet. Thanks!

Not to mention than on our V8 petrol vehicles with dual air intakes you'd have to get a snorkel on each side and you'd look supremely stooopid on the road... :biggrin: (assuming they even make a snorkel for the LH side of the LR4, which I doubt.) On diesel models they can get away with just one because the LH side grille is a dummy intake.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72