Aftermaket Air Filters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've worked closely with the K&N guys over the years at a number of track day events, I've heard their schpeel probably a 100 times. Pvangura makes a valid point, a heavily oiled filter will cause problems with the MAF. On the flip side, an under oiled filter is bad news. Their re-oiling instructions are pretty good.

I've used the K&N on several vehicles for several years and while I've not had any issues, I've certainly heard of those that have (mostly from guys using it with factory air boxes, etc.). Today I have a K&N on my Jeep (sits atop a Howell EFI/TBI kit) and an AFE dry filter on my BMW M Roadster (attached to a Dinan CAI) . . . .I went with the AFE on the BMW because I have an aftermarket MAF (from Dinan) and it offered a little more piece of mind, considering the MAF from Dinan was quite expensive.

Zero problems on the Jeep (that are related to the filter :)) and zero problems on the BMW.

On a similar note, CRC makes a MAF spray cleaner, for anyone that is concerned that has already installed the K&N.

delcoquito

Reaction score
Against the advice of Disco Mike and others, I went with the K&N air filter last week. :ahhhhh: My new mechanic (www.theimportpro.com) swears by them (said it would add some horsepower) and the LR parts guy from dealership said "I use them in my car" and I was sold.

I don't really go off-roading so I'm not worried about dirt and my mechanic was already well aware of the over-oiling and needing to wait a bit, etc. before installation. Plus, I have in writing that if anything goes wrong he will fix MAF sensor/replace with OEM filter.

If I run into any MAF issues I'll be sure to post, otherwise so far so good. :cool:

CD

jesus_man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that filter. I hope it works out for you, but I won't ever put and oiled filter in any of my rigs. I have an old one I am going to measure and see if someone has a cleanable dry filter for it.

J.D.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck with that filter. I hope it works out for you, but I won't ever put and oiled filter in any of my rigs. I have an old one I am going to measure and see if someone has a cleanable dry filter for it.

J.D.

+1.

Big_Mark

Reaction score
I've never had an issue with a K&N air filter on any MAF equipped vehicles I've owned.
I'm running one on my D1 and D3. The D1 came with it from the PO, I put the one into my D3. It did not improve mileage or noticeable throttle response improvement, so the issue as far as I am concerned is moot.

I do have to wonder though;
How much oil are the people who have these problems with the oil getting on their MAF filaments using anyway? :confused:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99