Air and newspaper noise on cornering -> Air strut bad?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, all, wife's 2013 LR4 makes an odd newspaper-rubbing-on-a-brake-disc/air-whooshing noise on hard right corners in the left front.
First check was air suspension. Put it up and down and all around: no sign of a leak. I didn't spray it with soapy water, should I do that next?
Second was wheel bearing. It had some slight play, so I changed it out (bearing was definitely shot).
Noise still there. Can only really hear it with windows down on hard right/braking turn (ie: shifting a lot of weight to that corner suddenly)
Am I looking at a new air strut for that corner? No other signs it's bad; it does not dive on that corner any worse than before.
Should I just wait for it to die?
Thanks, all!

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I'd pull out the air suspension relay in the relay/fuse box in the bonnet on the truck overnight. take measurements before pulling the relay and then again in the morning after the car sits over 8 hours. If both front struts dip overnight then its the front valve block that need replacing. Its a cheap, easy, and quick fix. If its just one strut that loses air overnight then you have a leak in that specific strut. I would not wait until a leaky strut gets worse because your air compressor will be working overtime trying to maintain the height in that leaky strut. You don't want to be replacing a compressor as well.....

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t seem like an air strut problem to me, unless it’s letting the tire rub up against something. If a strut was losing air in a turn, it wouldn’t be recovering afterwards. You’d have a low corner. Did you check the brakes? Could be a caliper stuck open and a shoe dragging/flopping around against the disc? Or possibly a tire having a problem - too much deflection on the sidewall?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can also check to see if the dust shield has been bent slightly and is rubbing against the brake rotor.

Al Pizzica

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all!
I had the entire thing apart when I did the bearing and it made the same noise after it all went back together so it's not in the brakes.
The flimsy disc cover was quite close to the disc but I can't imagine how cornering would flex it into the rotor. It does kind of sound like that. Maybe I will bend it well out and see.
Tires look good, I rotated them and noise still at driver front.
Also will try the leak down test. Thanks for that.

LR4 2011

Reaction score
I have recently had an issue which sounds similar. I found a rock stuck between the inside of the rotor and the dust shield.
I have a gravel drive way.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Izanagi