Air Compressor Failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most compressor failures are due to a owner negligence , as it has been proved

Seriously doubt it's owner negligence, especially on a vehicle less than 4 years old. Compressors are easy things that shouldn't fail. Hitachis have failed quite a bit.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously doubt it's owner negligence, especially on a vehicle less than 4 years old. Compressors are easy things that shouldn't fail. Hitachis have failed quite a bit.
All LR EAS compressors have air dryer to get rid of moisture, that comes in with atmospheric air , over time they All get caked up with it , as Silica Gel beads can only do good for some time, after that remaining moisture and decomposed desiccant course compressor to work harder and longer ,ultimately overheating it and cause premature failure.
AMK or Hitachi, does not matter , they all gonna fail sooner or later , depending on climate you are in so it os ultimately up to an owner to maintain it and prolong liftoff the compressor.This premature failures have been documented very early , i believe as early as 2007 , so yes , nothing is permanent , you have to stay on top of things in order for them to last a long time.

dsm02c

Reaction score
New breaks if I go 17s, sourced from the UK. Same thing they put on the "work" trucks. I don't want to add rods, so can go BFG A/T on 18s, or BFG M/Ts on 17s.

Could you elaborate on part numbers for the brakes? I would be interested in 17" wheels for sure...

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I belive , he is talking about a V6 brake set, as it was available a while a go in LR3 for a brief one year. It is still available thru parts order, you don't even need a whole brake caliper, just a caliper carrier and V6 brake pads.

dsm02c

Reaction score
I wonder how the smaller rotor would hold up under the terrain response braking these trucks do...? Would love 17'' wheels, but let's face it these trucks are heavy...

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All LR EAS compressors have air dryer to get rid of moisture, that comes in with atmospheric air , over time they All get caked up with it , as Silica Gel beads can only do good for some time, after that remaining moisture and decomposed desiccant course compressor to work harder and longer ,ultimately overheating it and cause premature failure.
AMK or Hitachi, does not matter , they all gonna fail sooner or later , depending on climate you are in so it os ultimately up to an owner to maintain it and prolong liftoff the compressor.This premature failures have been documented very early , i believe as early as 2007 , so yes , nothing is permanent , you have to stay on top of things in order for them to last a long time.

You can't blame "owner negligence" for something you really can't (not easily, anyway), and shouldn't, take care of. Nowhere on the owner's manual, maintenance charts or even the shop manual is an EAS compressor preventative maintenance / drier replacement schedule ever mentioned. 99.9% of owners don't even know where the compressor is, let alone where they can get a drier for it. Even dealers just toss them in the trash when they fail, it is supposed to be a maintenance-free component. While a little cottage industry of replacement air driers and desiccant pellets has developed among DIY owners over the years for the Hitachis, it is mostly because they fail so often, and are so friggin' expensive to replace when they do. For me it was a crapshoot... I had 2 failures within the first 2 years of ownership on my 2006 Sport, while the 3rd unit, also a Hitachi, lasted me over 5 years and 150K miles with no issues and no need for a new air drier. I live in Southern California so I am sure that my dry and temperate climate helps. But they first two units probably didn't fail because of a worn drier - and I didn't care anyway since warranty paid for them both.

The AMKs will crap out eventually I am sure, they are mechanical parts after all, but they don't seem to be anywhere near as prone to failure as the Hitachis were, especially early on. Any LR tech will tell you the AMK is a much better unit overall, so if you can get one - and the warranty pays for it! - you should be real happy about it. The design of the bracket alone inspires more confidence.

Last edited:

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can't blame "owner negligence" for something you really can't (not easily, anyway), and shouldn't, take care of. Nowhere on the owner's manual, maintenance charts or even the shop manual is an EAS compressor preventative maintenance / drier replacement schedule ever mentioned. 99.9% of owners don't even know where the compressor is, let alone where they can get a drier for it. Even dealers just toss them in the trash when they fail, it is supposed to be a maintenance-free component. While a little cottage industry of replacement air driers and desiccant pellets has developed among DIY owners over the years for the Hitachis, it is mostly because they fail so often, and are so friggin' expensive to replace when they do. For me it was a crapshoot... I had 2 failures within the first 2 years of ownership on my 2006 Sport, while the 3rd unit, also a Hitachi, lasted me over 5 years and 150K miles with no issues and no need for a new air drier. I live in Southern California so I am sure that my dry and temperate climate helps. But they first two units probably didn't fail because of a worn drier - and I didn't care anyway since warranty paid for them both.

The AMKs will crap out eventually I am sure, they are mechanical parts after all, but they don't seem to be anywhere near as prone to failure as the Hitachis were, especially early on. Any LR tech will tell you the AMK is a much better unit overall, so if you can get one - and the warranty pays for it! - you should be real happy about it. The design of the bracket alone inspires more confidence.
Maybe you right, maybe I should not blame it all on the owners negligence , but so called , by you , cottage industry with parts and desiccant did not emerged until only in recent years.Long before , there was and still is , although a little smaller now,a Genuine LR maintenance kit with all the parts you needed to prolong life of your compressor,in fact , it was used by Lr technicians countless times in the first years, to prevent failures , later scratched by some, as an idea of fixing it instead of replacing it as whole , was somehow more profitable and less labor intensive.It was a well documented TSB though.
Problem with EAS compressors is well documented and spoken off , on variety of platforms, forums and such for many , many years.
When I approached a parts desk first time with a Part Number of the Service Kit for a compressor, they was not even aware of it , some dealers did some not, mine did not at that time.Over the years I purchased two dryers and two service kits with various O rings, screws and springs and it served me well. Like I said earlier, my first generation Hitachi lasted me 10 .5 years with on and off road use.
I would probably use it still, but the stupid con rod, that serves as piston inside an air chamber , broke in half and it is not available as service part.

stufrowin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 eas compressor

Starting to get only normal level available and suspension fault etc. Bought dorman OE for $330. Fits just like original took 15 minutes to install (plug and play)so far so good. Original I pulled off just says land rover made in Japan. I assume it is Hitachi but couldn't find the name on it. Comparison of the 2 about same function noise equivalent, longevity to be determined. I'm glad no error this far as I don't think my icarsoft lrII is capable of that. I'll keep Hitachi and hopefully rebuild if/when dorman fails (made in China)

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I read of an AMK pump failing - but some early build 2012s may still have been supplied with Hitachi compressors, so I am curious about yours. Good to hear you were in town and that your warranty is still covering it.

hahaha mate go on to the LR3 forum you can read my story of a brand new AMK failing, I'm on my 2nd AMK in less than 6 months (and still have a suspension fault but I am sure it is not the compressor), 4th compressor overall, the EAS system is a bloody joke for us who go off road often.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM