Air Compressor Failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, I was in town and not on the trails, and it's covered by warranty. It seems a bit early for a 2012 that sees moderate wheeling a few times a year. I noticed it shuddering a couple of times when driving short distances and coming to a stop.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... Is that an AMK unit, and did they positively identify the compressor as the culprit? First time I read of an AMK pump failing - but some early build 2012s may still have been supplied with Hitachi compressors, so I am curious about yours. Good to hear you were in town and that your warranty is still covering it.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, even though I had late build 12, for some reason I still had the Hitachi. The compressor "internally short circuited" I was told. So, I'm hoping that is the end of it. Four more months of warranty to find out. ;-)

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, you will most likely get an AMK as replacement. It should be far more reliable / durable.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That I did sir, that I did. :) Now, about those sliders....

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uh oh, you have sliders on right now? They may have a problem fitting you with the AMK if you do...

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I was unclear. I will be adding sliders, 17s or 18s, and new shoes.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice! Tactical 4x4 for sliders (don't forget the bracket if you have the AMK compressor) and 18" Compos? Still don't know of a 17" out there fitting over our front brakes. Your wallet is going to get a lot of exercise soon.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New breaks if I go 17s, sourced from the UK. Same thing they put on the "work" trucks. I don't want to add rods, so can go BFG A/T on 18s, or BFG M/Ts on 17s.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh... Is that an AMK unit, and did they positively identify the compressor as the culprit? First time I read of an AMK pump failing - but some early build 2012s may still have been supplied with Hitachi compressors, so I am curious about yours. Good to hear you were in town and that your warranty is still covering it.
Failing AMK compressors were reported multiple times on disco site. Although design might have been improved , principles and parts are provide the same function as Hitachi.Both have Valves and dryer , which will fail eventually , due to clogging up on moisture.Only difference is ,Hitachi still has replaceable parts available , whereas AMK does not.Most compressor failures are due to a owner negligence , as it has been proved , that well maintained Hitachi unit can last over 10 years ...as mine DID.I would last a lot longer , but when aluminum piston arm broke , I could not source one and resorted to a free to me Hitachi compressor from 2008 model.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635