All-Terrain Tires. Let's have a conversation.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be looking for an off road tire then... mtr's then

No, I am looking an AT tire with some nice aggressive tread for going off-road. Nothing personal my friend. The ATR simply does not look that aggressive, IMO. The ATR and the Yok's look pretty different when comparing the tread patch. The Cooper's and the General Grabber are completely different altogether.

Yokohama Geolandar ATS
yokvl3.ang.jpg

General Grabber AT2
general-grabber-at2.jpg

Pirelli ATR
pirelliatr.jpg

Cooper Zeon LTZ
coprl2.ang.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear Duratrac's look pretty good, but I have heard inconsist feedback as to their durability. I would rank the true AT choices this way:

1. Cooper Zeon's - proven, inexpensive, capable, wear well
2. Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 - See above, though not quite as widely implemented (thus slightly less proven)
3. BF Goodrich AT's. Wear like nails, great in snow, good all around traction, not as good in the rocks as the Coopers. Fairly expensive, borderline on size/fit
4. Nitto Terra Grappler: Proven, capable, but not quite as long lasting as the Coopers, and a bit more pricey.
5. Yokohama Geolander AT (not the ATS) - Virtually the same tire as the Nitto.
6. Goodyear Duratrac's - Not quite enough track record to comment about durability, otherwise very capable, mid range price

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Goodyear Duratrac's look pretty good, but I have heard inconsist feedback as to their durability. I would rank the true AT choices this way:

1. Cooper Zeon's - proven, inexpensive, capable, wear well
2. Hankook DynaPro ATM RF10 - See above, though not quite as widely implemented (thus slightly less proven)
3. BF Goodrich AT's. Wear like nails, great in snow, good all around traction, not as good in the rocks as the Coopers. Fairly expensive, borderline on size/fit
4. Nitto Terra Grappler: Proven, capable, but not quite as long lasting as the Coopers, and a bit more pricey.
5. Yokohama Geolander AT (not the ATS) - Virtually the same tire as the Nitto.
6. Goodyear Duratrac's - Not quite enough track record to comment about durability, otherwise very capable, mid range price

Yokohama's have a 112 load index.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be pic *******... but do you mean these Dynapros? They do pretty well, although I did have a pinch flat on a pretty difficult trail. I would probably go with a plus size tire for anything more than moderate off road use.

ohnoes2.jpg

ohnoes3.jpg

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love my general at2. My second set (2 trucks). Very similar to BFG, except 1/2 the price, 1/2 the sidewall protection, 1/2 the advertising budget...

Rausch%20005.jpg

product_photos-xlarge_image-3364-331x.jpg

Mr.BigsLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to be pic *******... but do you mean these Dynapros? They do pretty well, although I did have a pinch flat on a pretty difficult trail. I would probably go with a plus size tire for anything more than moderate off road use.

Thanks for the insight. Good info. My ideas have changed......again. (*sigh*)

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Good info. My ideas have changed......again. (*sigh*)

I let a little much air out on the trail to be honest. I think the Hankook is a good tire, I would buy them again. I kind of wish we could run oversize tires on these trucks easier. I guess you cant have your cake and eat it too. If you want a big huge dedicated off-road tire you will sacrifice some road performance. If you want to keep your road performance similar to stock you cant run the giant rock crawler tires and go bouncing over difficult trails without a care in the world...

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the Yoko's for about 20K on my LR3 too, and had no issues with them. I have the ATRs on my GTS. I would rank the ATS's as being equal on the road to the ATR, but superior to it offroad.

Nathan I think you are confusing the Yoko with the Toyo Open Country AT, the latter being very similar to the Nitto.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA