All the battery posts got me scared ....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So our LR4 just turned 3 and we are still on the factory battery. Should I be proactive and replace it? The wife usually drives it to work so I would hate for her to get stranded. Im thinking I'll check Costco for an Interstate and at least have a new one sitting ready to go. I also don't have an ID tool so cant do the battery reset part. Will that matter? Or should I have our mechanic do that next month when inspection is done?

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had my factory battery for nearly 5 years before replacing it this past summer (there were mitigating circumstances for the delay). Never had any issues. My car had about 32k miles at the time, but still. I would not recommend waiting that long, but it's not a ticking time bomb at 3 years. I would certainly recommend not waiting until 4 years.

jpjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with the Sears DieHard agm battery, but check out the post "H7-H8 conversion." I think I might go that way when this thing Dies Hard;)

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Watch for weak battery warning signs, like the clock changing to military time format by itself. Nothing wrong with changing the battery at 3 years on our vehicles, but it should last about 4 years. I also carry an XP-10 micro start battery which I did have to use once and it worked great and immediately jump started my LR4.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also carry an XP-10 micro start battery which I did have to use once and it worked great and immediately jump started my LR4.

This is the play for anyone who wants to tempt fate and see how long they can keep their battery in service. Granted, it costs as much as a new battery but it provides huge peace of mind and the ability to help others when needed.

Jazzy

Reaction score
Mine lasted five, I’ll change out every four from now on. Went with DieHard. Also used my small Viking battery starter/jumper to jump mine near end of battery life along several other vehicles...worked every single time. Great $100 investment I bought from harbor freight

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks. Looks like I'll tempt fate a little longer and watch for any signs.

[email protected]

Reaction score
So our LR4 just turned 3 and we are still on the factory battery. Should I be proactive and replace it? The wife usually drives it to work so I would hate for her to get stranded. Im thinking I'll check Costco for an Interstate and at least have a new one sitting ready to go. I also don't have an ID tool so cant do the battery reset part. Will that matter? Or should I have our mechanic do that next month when inspection is done?

The problem with the battery in the LR is that the electrical systems is messed up. The alternator poweres the electrical system first then it charges the battery. As the battery gets weaker and weaker it puts more of a load on the alternator for charging. The alternator was not designed for this and damage occurs. Especially when the batter is below 80% this is the point when stress really hits the alternator. In my experience when the batter goes you have already fried the alternator and this will need to be replaced at the same time. Don't go cheep on the batteries. If you can find it North Star, has taken the place of Optima Red top as the highest quality batter built in the world.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am speaking of my LR3 and its battery "charging" system.

I do not think the state of charge of the battery much enters into the calculations that the engine computer does - all it worry's about is emissions and controlling them. Charging the battery is last on its programs list of priorities.

My view is that the battery never gets above an 80% state of charge - drive NY to LA and the battery will at best be at 80% state of charge - that is just the way it is.

I have a CTEK US3300 that is put on every six months or so for a week of nights in an attempt to get the battery back to near a full charge. I do this to extend its useful working life.

As such, my Interstate H7 usually lasts five years or so. I say H7 as it is easier to fit in the space than the specified H8 and I do not think the smaller size matters much re starting etc.

The engine computer software designers know that the engine will start most often with a state of charge of perhaps 60% so for whatever reason and anything above that is a luxury. Well that is what it seems like anyway so if the question is how to extend your battery life, then put it on a maintainer every few months.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I am speaking of my LR3 and its battery "charging" system.

I do not think the state of charge of the battery much enters into the calculations that the engine computer does - all it worry's about is emissions and controlling them. Charging the battery is last on its programs list of priorities.

My view is that the battery never gets above an 80% state of charge - drive NY to LA and the battery will at best be at 80% state of charge - that is just the way it is.

I have a CTEK US3300 that is put on every six months or so for a week of nights in an attempt to get the battery back to near a full charge. I do this to extend its useful working life.

As such, my Interstate H7 usually lasts five years or so. I say H7 as it is easier to fit in the space than the specified H8 and I do not think the smaller size matters much re starting etc.

The engine computer software designers know that the engine will start most often with a state of charge of perhaps 60% so for whatever reason and anything above that is a luxury. Well that is what it seems like anyway so if the question is how to extend your battery life, then put it on a maintainer every few months.

BByer, I am glad you chimed in. The CTEK US3300 was designed by the same engineer that is helping create North Star Batters. That is what is weird about LR. Most charging systems charge the battery then the battery will run the rest of the electrical system.. If you run the Land Rover at 60% you are going to have a problem with your alternator...:)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72