Altimeter Maxes out at 9990 ft.? Really?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

snwbrdn

Reaction score
Was drving throught the rockies at 11,000 ft and noticed the altimeter stops counting after 9990 ft. Anyone else ever noticed this or have you seen the altimeter give higher readings than that? You would think Land Rover would anticipate drivers actually off-roading in the mountains.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was drving throught the rockies at 11,000 ft and noticed the altimeter stops counting after 9990 ft. Anyone else ever noticed this or have you seen the altimeter give higher readings than that? You would think Land Rover would anticipate drivers actually off-roading in the mountains.

That is as high as it goes. I've been at 9990 all the way past 14K ....... seems strange indeed. I don't know if that can be fixed with a software upgrade or not, but it would be nice.

Cheers
John

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeap, I've seen that too in a friend's HSE up on Black Bear Pass:

191484326_pZGvo-L.jpg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Altimeter? Where is that ? On the NAV in off-road moad?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. It's also somewhat inaccurate. (Not sure why.) I don't think this was exactly a priority for Denso...

If you care about altitude, the problem is easily resolved with a barometric altimeter placed on the dash. :smile:

Last edited:

geoaustin

Reaction score
Without WAAS capability or WAAS coverage for the GPS (pretty sure the LR3 does not have it), the vertical accuracy is only good to a few hundred feet. WAAS is a FAA system that adds vertical accuracy for GPS approaches for use with aircraft, but there are land based GPS systems that have it now. Still, the barometric altimeters are the best. Just be sure to calibrate them with the current barometric pressure for an area.

4406ft is the highest point in Scotland (figuring that is also the highest for the whole of the UK), so maybe LR figured mountains as high as ours here in America (which are short compared to those in Asia or South America) are only for climbing. Dunno, Alps are pretty high too. I agree it is pretty ridiculous to have a maximum altitude reading, but also, I don't see how it matters that much in a land vehicle.

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We run in to it all the time (we live in Colorado) - my guess is since it was designed in Great Britian they didn't expect anyone to have the need for anything above 4 digits in meters (30,000+ feet). They must have forgotten about their US counterparts :biggrin:

-Rich

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA! I never noticed that (and probably won't out here in MD). BUT, after they had that commercial last year where the LR3 NAV was doing the navigation in the belly of a freighter jet, i just assumed the altimeter was accurate up there as well. Too funny.

Reaction score
Altimeter

I have an '05 LR3 HSE and I noticed that with Nathan on Black Bear (the pic above) at last years LRNR. The only solution is to swith the display over to Metric. That way you will have readings in metres and I doubt you will be heading above 9999 metres (30,000 feet). It is in the setup menu that you access by pushing the button on the end of the turn signal arm.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's very interesting, I wonder if it's simply a limited number of allowed characters?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo