Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ditto, I'm starting to concede that this thing might pan out.. This vehicle could be the landing pad that we need for when we start sliding past 200k on the clock, and repairs start becoming overly cumbersome..

From the infotainment screen, it looks like it'll have the upper rear glass I was looking for- one more accent that nods to some LR heritage..

Question: What is this Defender going to do to the Discovery series? With many versions of "glam wagon" in the lineup- I could see this Defender capsizing the D5 sales completely, especially if price points overlap.. Think about it- if you put those vehicles side by side at $70k on a showroom floor, I can't see the D5 surviving.. At all.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about it- if you put those vehicles side by side at $70k on a showroom floor, I can't see the D5 surviving.. At all.[/QUOTE]

We can hope, can't we...

BikePilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the defender is smaller than. D5. People wanting the cargo space and 3 row seating will still have to stick with the D5. I'm really hoping that a defender inspired D6 shows up soon.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score
The elephant in the room needs to be addressed: 2020/2021 Defender, or 2021 Bronco? Looks, and off road ability, I'm leaning more towards the bronco. And it's going to have a removable top, and possibly a V8

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The elephant in the room needs to be addressed: 2020/2021 Defender, or 2021 Bronco? Looks, and off road ability, I'm leaning more towards the bronco. And it's going to have a removable top, and possibly a V8

Nobody knows for sure what the Bronco is going to look like, and I'd almost guarantee you it doesn't come with a V8.

Likewise, nobody knows for sure what the Defender is going to look like, or if it will have a removable top/sides.

It's all a guessing game a this point.

iSurfvilano

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody knows for sure what the Bronco is going to look like, and I'd almost guarantee you it doesn't come with a V8.

Likewise, nobody knows for sure what the Defender is going to look like, or if it will have a removable top/sides.

I read an article a couple days ago that Toyota is going to share it's Land Cruiser platform with BMW to create a dedicated off roader for the brand...the off road game is going widespread.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember LR's stated intent to create 3 distinct product lines - RR, Discovery and Defender. The Discovery becomes a Touareg/Cayenne/.....

The Defender is the next-gen LR4.

Agreed that Defender class competition is increasing with the new Bronco, Gladiator, etc.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read an article a couple days ago that Toyota is going to share it's Land Cruiser platform with BMW to create a dedicated off roader for the brand...the off road game is going widespread.

I used to be a Land Cruiser guy. I've had an 83 FJ60, a '95 80 series, a 78 FJ40, and a 77 FJ40. I generally loved all of them.

But man, as much as I rag on Land Rover's designers, Toyota seriously needs to fire their whole design team. It's almost as if they are testing how much people believe in Toyota "reliability" by seeing how ugly they can make their cars and still have people buy them. The latest facelift on the 200 series makes it a bit more palpable, and I could maybe see myself having one someday given a certain set of circumstances.

But man. There's a reason they sell so few Land Crusers (and the even more hideous LX 570) and Land Rover sells so many more Range Rovers. If Toyota could make the Land Cruiser aesthetically pleasing, they'd absolutely rule the luxury off-road market.

Bryan Jones

The guy with the 35's
Reaction score

Knowing what you know about both, which would you choose?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72