Another Defender hint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DirtyHal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I think the new defender looks great, also from what I can tell from reading articles online and the Alloy and Grit interview it is very well engineered. Between tow ratings, roof carrying capacity, the functional interior materials it looks like a great vehicle for our lifestyle. It's not a full on rock crawler but I don't think that's landrover's schtick anyways. I'm very curious to see the kind of **** they can do after people like Lucky8 finish modifying them though. I wish it was just a little bit bigger but I suppose that is what the 130 is for. It is on my shortlist for a next vehicle after I do the engine swap on my D2.

mpinco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I think the new defender looks great, also from what I can tell from reading articles online and the Alloy and Grit interview it is very well engineered. Between tow ratings, roof carrying capacity, the functional interior materials it looks like a great vehicle for our lifestyle. It's not a full on rock crawler but I don't think that's landrover's schtick anyways. I'm very curious to see the kind of **** they can do after people like Lucky8 finish modifying them though. I wish it was just a little bit bigger but I suppose that is what the 130 is for. It is on my shortlist for a next vehicle after I do the engine swap on my D2.

I'm not sold on the styling but the underlying engineering works for me. If anything they need to improve the engine selection. The 4cyl is too small and the 6cyl is too expensive both upfront and likely long term. The 130 needs to have a V8 that is not MHEV.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can't take the top off on a unibody and expect it to do anything other than pavement and light duty offroad IMO. So, don't hold your breath on that one.
I doubt they ever will as well. However don’t you think the perimeter roof cage or whatever you want to call it like the Bronco would make it rigid enough?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the negativity, especially coming from LR4 owners. Farmers, grizzlied Series 1 owners or Jeepsters with coilers and 37" tires running up and down the Rubicon for a living, OK. But you own a LR4, not exactly a bastion of Land Rover classic lines and post-war heritage. The new Defender has got less cargo room than the LR4, I'll grant you that. Not acres less, but definitely less. If you are 6' and up you won't be able to sleep in it. If you want to carry 7 adults in comfort, it won't work. Those are issues the 130 should address eventually.

Other than that, why the hate? The look of the front end is such a deal breaker for you? Kinda ghei, no? Compared to the LR4 the new D110 is about 800 lbs lighter, it handles better on pavement and off, has got more passengers room, more power, goes faster, better off-road metrics in every direction, a more practical and easier to clean, but still elegant interior, better roof carrying capacity, you can fit 33" tires on it without breaking a sweat, the spare wheel is where it should be, it uses less gas and yet has a bigger fuel tank, much improved EAS, improved Terrain Response, can tow a house, infotainment and electronics in general are on a different planet and finally comparable to the competition, same great seats but now you can get them cooled AND heated, you can even option a front jumpseat if you are into those, tons of accessories from Land Rover and the aftermarket will undoubtedly support it better as well, at least judging by how fast they figured out how to fit 18" wheels and rock sliders on a P400 - literally weeks from introduction. It even looks like a LR4, and I would expect OG Defender owners to complain about that one, but not LR4 owners. And since one of the chief complaints here is that's it's ridiculously overpriced, how much was your LR4? Mine, loaded with options which is the only way I'd buy a Land Rover, was $73K and change. In 2013. My RRS in 2005 was 70K, and it wasn't even the supercharged model. My new Defender is $80K and change, in 2020. I fail to see the problem there, Land Rovers have always been expensive. If you can't afford it, that's a whole different story.

Hang in there for a year and get the Bronco with its anemic engine choices, its 35" tires that I imagine will be an absoulte dream to drive long distance, less cargo room than even a new Defender, and a price that will probably be around $60K+ to make it comparable - in features and capabilities - to a new Defender. But who knows, it's been crowned SUV of the century and nobody has driven one yet. That's a mystery to me. It does look cool and macho enough - until every car rental company starts renting thousands of base spec models to tourists around town anyway, then you might feel less special - and the doors and roof do come off: who hasn't dreamed of ripping the doors off our LR4 at one point or another? Best of all, it's a Ford. Or wait even longer for a Grenadier, that's another sure bet for us here in North America.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I don't understand the negativity, especially coming from LR4 owners. Farmers, grizzlied Series 1 owners or Jeepsters with coilers and 37" tires running up and down the Rubicon for a living, OK. But you own a LR4, not exactly a bastion of Land Rover classic lines and post-war heritage. The new Defender has got less cargo room than the LR4, I'll grant you that. Not acres less, but definitely less. If you are 6' and up you won't be able to sleep in it. If you want to carry 7 adults in comfort, it won't work. Those are issues the 130 should address eventually.

Other than that, why the hate? The look of the front end is such a deal breaker for you? Kinda ghei, no? Compared to the LR4 the new D110 is about 800 lbs lighter, it handles better on pavement and off, has got more passengers room, more power, goes faster, better off-road metrics in every direction, a more practical and easier to clean, but still elegant interior, better roof carrying capacity, you can fit 33" tires on it without breaking a sweat, the spare wheel is where it should be, it uses less gas and yet has a bigger fuel tank, much improved EAS, improved Terrain Response, can tow a house, infotainment and electronics in general are on a different planet and finally comparable to the competition, same great seats but now you can get them cooled AND heated, you can even option a front jumpseat if you are into those, tons of accessories from Land Rover and the aftermarket will undoubtedly support it better as well, at least judging by how fast they figured out how to fit 18" wheels and rock sliders on a P400 - literally weeks from introduction. It even looks like a LR4, and I would expect OG Defender owners to complain about that one, but not LR4 owners. And since one of the chief complaints here is that's it's ridiculously overpriced, how much was your LR4? Mine, loaded with options which is the only way I'd buy a Land Rover, was $73K and change. In 2013. My RRS in 2005 was 70K, and it wasn't even the supercharged model. My new Defender is $80K and change, in 2020. I fail to see the problem there, Land Rovers have always been expensive. If you can't afford it, that's a whole different story.

Hang in there for a year and get the Bronco with its anemic engine choices, its 35" tires that I imagine will be an absoulte dream to drive long distance, less cargo room than even a new Defender, and a price that will probably be around $60K+ to make it comparable - in features and capabilities - to a new Defender. But who knows, it's been crowned SUV of the century and nobody has driven one yet. That's a mystery to me. It does look cool and macho enough - until every car rental company starts renting thousands of base spec models to tourists around town anyway, then you might feel less special - and the doors and roof do come off: who hasn't dreamed of ripping the doors off our LR4 at one point or another? Best of all, it's a Ford. Or wait even longer for a Grenadier, that's another sure bet for us here in North America.
I nominate you as the new Chief Marketing Officer of JLR. Your summary was fantastically funny and captured the value in this vehicle. If they adopt that messaging, they can probably convert at least half of the LR4 owners. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's worse than that. I had hoped the new Defendre would be a replacement for our LR4 when our warranty expires in May of 2023. So, not only do I hate it, but I am p!$$3d that JLR pulled another Discovery5 trick on LR4 owners.

Best thing to do is go over to the Defender forum and ask for your own space. Seems to me that this would be a good solution.

Done...I asked one of the moderators for a separate New Defender forum. Then those of us that like it can move our discussions to there. Then you can relax and focus on LR4 issues.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Third row?" Let's get real here. I think your cognitive dissonance is getting in the way of your objectivity. There is no spoon...
??? It’s certainly not as comfortable as the LR4 but with the sliding second row is functional. The 8000+lb tow rating compared to the wrangler and Broncos 3500 is significant.

was this an attempt to insult me? I don’t understand the purpose of your post.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Land Rovers preparing their response to jeep and the bronco . They’re attempting to solve the competition with the only thing acceptable to any insane human being like me, more power.

Some D5 owners maybe switching over as well. Also if they do this it might be a clue to them putting a V8 in the D5 as well. It would be the only big SUV on their line up without a supercharged V8 option.

Maybe JLR is listening to us...

Stuart Barnes

Full Access Member
Reaction score

what he said

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM