Anyone running Tuffant steel wheels yet?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArmyRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have about 5k Miles on the same Goodyears and love them so far. I ran them on the trail at Rovers at Wintergreen and they did surprisingly well. I really dig them for my daily drive tire

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woah! Actual data! :)

Can you let me know what the app is called? I'd like to try this with mine for comparison.

It's louder than the Duller HL Alenza+, but even with the windows rolled down it's not that bad. I have a sound meter app I will measure the db levels soon. I know with the old tires and the radio and a/c off the interior and windows up was around 78db 68-70db when doing 60-65mph. I should get a chance this evening to make some measurements.

Right now playing with what settings adjust the odometer and speedometer without triggering a check engine light.

Edit:
Did some test driving and looked at my old notes for a correction above. A/C off and stereo off for all measurements.

With the windows up and cruising at 65mph on the UltraTerrains the noise level was 72-74db
With the front windows down and cruising at 65mph on the UltraTerrains the noise level was 76-79dba

You can hear the tires, they aren't loud but I imagine as they wear a bit they will get louder. With the windows up and radio (normal listening is 12-15) on I don't notice them at all.

CamelToephy

Reaction score
It's an Android app called "Sound Analyzer App" by Dominique Rodriques. It's by no means a calibrated meter, I would expect readings to vary by device but generally be consistent on the same device.

Tonight while testing the CCR edits to adjust my speedo I recorded some sound clips of the tire noise. Both were recorded at about 55mph on wet roads with a light rain. I say about 55 because none of the CCR edits worked properly, so this is what the GPS was saying vs the speedo.

Check your volume, especially for the windows open one.

Windows closed: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUoJqFA4gC_gY4iiERANWuXJU5_aA
All windows open: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsUoJqFA4gC_gY4hskyA9lnvoEmEwQ

Paul M

Reaction score
Installed mine over the weekend, Charcoal rims with Wrangler UltraTerrain AT in 275/65/18 on 2005 LR3. I did the heater line relocation and removed the body seam folding on both sides as well as reforming the wheel well liners. The only side I have rubbing on is the right rear on the liner, I'm going to pull the liner off and try to do more reforming off the vehicle since I can only push it back so far when it's installed and it's obviously not enough.
View media item 431View media item 432View media item 433View media item 434View media item 435

I'm mounting my Tuffants next week and have the same Kaymar rear setup except reversed. What TPMS option did yu go with?

Kristina

Reaction score
Also curious about TPMS option for the TuffAnt steelies. I should have mine next week.

Michael Gain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is what I use. OEM tpms stayed in the OEM wheels.

Screenshot_20210115-123027.png

mmbirtcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About to pull the trigger on the Tuffants. What does everyone run, the ET44 or ET27? I’d love to see some pics of the difference!

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious: it used to be that steel wheels were preferred for more severe offroading, especially on rocks, because alloy rims would crack before the bent, and generally weren't trail-repairable with a hammer the way steel wheels were. Is this still general wisdom, or...?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72