Arnott bags/strut versus OE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After my blow-out, I reinstalled the old "bags" I took out. After rolling on those for the last several months I decided it may be worth the exercise to buy a set of Arnott "bags" . . . . was quite surprised at the quality.

The Arnott design uses a Bilstein shock and Goodyear bladder that appear to be major upgrades compared to the Delphi OE design.

Here's a pic of the Arnott and the OE (one of the brand new Delphi that I blew). The circumference of the Arnott is smaller than the OE by roughly 3/4" (checked it with a pie tape). . . .

I'm running Mosquito Pass this weekend (same locale I blew out the OE units) so I'll report back any worthwhile news.

Attachments

• IMG100.jpg
    IMG100.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 44

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you explain in more detail what you think the differences are, both in construction and in performance/feel?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The majority of Audi allroad owners are now running Arnott air springs. (I am referring to the older style A6-based allroad, not the new "smallroad") The OE front air springs on the two allroads I owned failed, and I had good luck with Arnott replacements. (OE springs are $900 & Arnotts are $400)

Over the years Arnott has improved the design of the allroad air springs and they work really well. Yes, they are a smaller diameter than the OE springs, but they fit perfectly. You don't even have to replace them in pairs.

If an air spring fails on our LR3, I would certainly go with an Arnott air spring to replace it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about travel. Are they the same spec as OE? Made for our vehicles?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at the Arnott website, there is only one model air spring available for the LR3 so it's specifications are probably identical to the OE LR3 air spring.

For the allroad, Arnott sells a "generation 1" model that is identical in spec to OE. I bought these one at a time as they failed. Arnott also came out with a "generation 2" air spring for the allroad which is stiffer than OE. These need to be replaced in pairs.

I bet every allroad has had air spring failures by now since they are all 8 to 12 years old. But this vehicle is still very popular since Audi no longer sells A6 avants in the US. When our LR4 arrived, I sold my last allroad for more than double it's book value and it sold in 2 days. Arnott has a huge market with the allroad.

As more LR3 air springs fail and demand increases, I can see Arnott giving us replacement choices as well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently blew out an airspring. I got 105,000 miles out of it. It will take me about 13 years to put another 105,000 miles on my vehicle based on my current driving habits. I'm gonna stick with the OE for now. In fact I plan on replacing my front driver's side shock around December to match the passenger side front.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna stick with the OE for now.

Houm, prices aren't much different from the OE springs. With shipping from FL to CO, there was maybe $20-$30 saved total. Probably initially you would have seen similar savings like the Audi example, but if you shop the OE springs, you can find them far less than dealer prices.

I bought the Arnott because I liked the idea of a smaller diameter spring. I'm still hoping to find a solution to the upper control contact issue running the Toddco spacers.

I'll learn more after this weekend run.

MilehighLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about travel. Are they the same spec as OE? Made for our vehicles?

The travel is identical. All of the fittings and bolt patterns are the same as well. They are designed to be a direct replacement.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Understood. My point is that I'll stick with OE because I got 105,000 miles out of my first set. I guess though, people have failed them sooner. I recall Ryan-In-Oregon put in a new one and had it go out within about 20,000 miles (I don't remember exactly) so results vary.

I wouldn't like the idea of having a mis-matching one in any corner though. I'm quirkly like that.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM