Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The standard, single backup camera is analog, and I suspect the image quality may be better than on LR4s fitted with the optional 5-camera video system (which is digital.)

Stealther

Reaction score
Certainly a possibility I hadn't thought of. I haven't actually seen a backup camera in a non-vision assist LR4 yet.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Certainly a possibility I hadn't thought of. I haven't actually seen a backup camera in a non-vision assist LR4 yet.

My 2012 LR4 is non-vision assist, and I think the backup camera is close to outstanding. As I said earlier, I drive all manner of rental cars for work, some with good cameras and some with terrible, and I think my LR4's is better than them all.

So when I read your earlier comment, I was perplexed. I think Umberto is onto something regarding the analog/digital conversion; that's got to be it, because I can't imagine the image I see in my LR4 leaving anyone wanting.

Sheepmesa

Reaction score
I just purchased a 2016 LR4 Landmark with a surround camera system. The image quality is terrible. the image is out of focus and the color fidelity is poor (blue looks green). I can't make out the license plate numbers of vehicles immediately in front of or behind me. Also, the text on the camera touchscreen pages is blurred, whereas on all other pages it is crisp and in focus. On my 2011 LR4, which is similarly equipped, the text on the screens is similar, but the images are much more clear (I can read the license plate numbers in front and behind me). The dealer called yesterday and said the cameras were operating up to par. I am going over there this morning and will have them compare the images to those on my 2011 LR4 as well as those on other 2016 LR4s they have in stock.

Sheepmesa

Reaction score
I just got back from the dealership with my 2016 LR4. I had several problems, one of which, the defective second and third row sunroof shades, is addressed in a separate topic.

The camera problem I posted yesterday was not resolved. The color fidelity is terrible. Yellow is yellow-orange, tan is almost red and blue is closer to green than blue. It's as if the camera needs a manual white balance adjustment to get the colors right (like many camcorders do). Obviously, auto white balance is not working. The service manager noted the problem and now is contacting Land Rover for technical assistance. In addition, the image is still out of focus. My wife and I compared the image to that in another 2016 LR4 in the showroom and to that in an LR4 that a lady had just brought in for service (she was amused by and gladly participated in the test). Much to our surprise, the image clarity was similar in all three LR4s, but worse than in my 2011 LR4. My wife held up a license plate in the front and back of each and the numbers were legible (but not clear) up to roughly 5 feet out. The numbers were much more clear in my 2011 LR4. In short, the image clarity in my 2016 LR4 (and apparently in some but not all LR4s) is pathetic, although I should note that the image clarity is only slightly worse than that in my 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk. Land Rover should be ashamed to provide such a poor quality camera in what I consider to be an otherwise exceptional vehicle.

As an aside, I (and the service department) learned something new during my visit. If you turn on the ignition (but do not start the vehicle), put your foot on the brake and press the button on the steering wheel to pull up the instrument panel menu, you will find more menu items than if you start the vehicle and then pull up the menu, including tire pressure information for each tire and recommended tire pressures. I haven't tested my 2011 LR4 yet to see if it works the same. I have also learned that the owner's manual for the 2016 LR4 (apparently published in 2015) refers to a number of menu items that in fact do not exist on the vehicle (for example, the manual states that the paddle shifters can be configured to work in D as well as in S, but according to the dealer, this is not correct, at least in the US).

TLB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2013 LR4 does not have vision assit. Rear camera image is good.
I had vision assist on 2011 LR4 and really miss back up camera which was projecting the pathway depending on steering wheel input. I do not miss front and side cameras.
I have no idea how Land Rover screwed up 2014+ LR4s. 2010 had some minor issues but 2011-2013 were very solid. You would think that recent model years would be better but with all the changes they made after MY2013 it made it is worse. I hope they will figure out how to fix your cameras and sun shades.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635