Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt_k123

Reaction score
Folks, new here - I searched and couldn't find what I was looking for. Can someone please tell me if the poor quality of the backup camera in the 2016 is expected? It's as if this camera was bought at autozone - you can't make out any detail at all. Everyone experience this? Is there anyone that can add a photo of their screen when in reverse? I'm hoping there's something seriously wrong with my wife's camera and it's not really what I paid for.

Matt

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a lot of rental cars for work. I've found that the back up camera in my 2012 LR4 bests all of them, especially at night.

Matt_k123

Reaction score
that's actually good news - maybe ours is faulty. Anyone share experience with 2016 version? It's as if there's a ziploc bag over the camera - you can see what's there but no detail at all. Thanks for replying ryanjl.

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not trying to sound like a condescending ****, just applying some hard-earned troubleshooting experience from trying to help my mom (and my wife!) with tech issues. Always consider the simplest causes first.

And so with great trepidation I ask: Have you checked the camera lens to make sure it isn't smudged with oil or something else?

I get that effect sometimes, especially in winter months when salty road spray cakes and dries on the lens. I've got the thumb wipe down pat.

Matt_k123

Reaction score
No, not taken as condescending. After a few decades as an engineer, I, like you, know that sometimes we over complicate things <see always>. So, I have cleaned the lens but it made no difference. I'm inclined to say there's something wrong with the camera - if not, you guys would have just said "hey, it's a great rig, we all know the backup cameras suck, get over it"

Matt

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All good then. Sounds like you've ruled out that factor. However, I bet that if/when you take it in for service, the first thing the tech does is bend down for a look, lick his thumb, and wipe the lens.:D

FWIW, even in my 2011 LR4, the backup camera image is crisp and I agree w/ @ryanjl that it is very good at night.

Matt_k123

Reaction score
Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate the confirmation that I should expect better. Unfortunately, there's no other LR around to check - so I can only compare it to my RC-F, which is crystal clear. I'll have the guys at the dealership take a look.

Have a good one, appreciate the responses.

Matt

jettore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
our 2016 looks ok to me so sounds like something might be wrong.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's actually good news - maybe ours is faulty. Anyone share experience with 2016 version? It's as if there's a ziploc bag over the camera - you can see what's there but no detail at all. Thanks for replying ryanjl.

Yeah, that's what I meant by my comment. I would assume that, if anything, the backup camera only got better from 2012 to 2016, so there must be something wrong with yours. I'd take it into the dealer and have them look at it.

Stealther

Reaction score
There are aspects of the backup camera I like but the video quality isn't one of them. I also find it annoying that if I put it in reverse while I have the multi-camera view up it forces me to look at a full screen reverse cam.

The Mrs. drives a 2015 Subaru and the backup camera while not nearly as full featured is much clearer both day and night and runs at a higher shutter speed for sharper video while in motion. The camera is just an older spec and needs updating.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635