Beware: OEM vs Garbage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On Soapbox:

Just a friendly service reminder to make sure that you are using quality parts on your rig. Today I got burned by a garbage crossover pipe, from Atlantic British of all places. When you search "crossover pipe" on their website, the OEM doesn't come up- only this gem does. Some notes:

-This thing had no markings on it.
-The inside of it has large, loose plastic pieces on the seams, where the OEM has no flash and smooth edges. This stuff will clog coolant pathways and eat water pumps.
20210629_223912.jpg20210629_223816.jpg
-The generic o-rings both split upon insertion. Surfaces cleaned, properly lubed, and I pressed straight down with hand pressure on the back of the inlets and both split.
20210629_213529.jpg20210629_213411.jpg
-It does not properly seat in the block openings. This is more than likely the issue another forum member is having right now- he can't pressurize his system and the o-rings are still visible when the pipe is fully bolted in.

I'm really trying not to be over dramatic, but I couldn't be more disappointed with Atlantic British right now. I went back to their website, and found the OEM- they have no picture of it and have it listed as a "hose"? Why would they even offer this for $10 less than the OEM in the first place- this is a critical component and prime failure point of these vehicles. I would expect this quality buying random parts off of Ebay, but is the extra $20 they make on this really worth it when you're putting your customers at risk? It's not all the time I spent waiting for this to show up, it's not the fact that I have to go pay dealer prices tomorrow to keep this job on track, it's that the one place I trusted for Land Rover parts sold me this terrible quality POS, and it could have killed my rig. I'm changing this pipe because I have to take 6 Boy Scouts to New Mexico (500 mile drive), and it would have been just awesome to smoke my motor and ruin their trip (that they each paid a grand for) because I was sold a junk part from a place that I trusted.

Off Soapbox, and off to the dealer! Stay frosty when you're buying your parts, guys...

MP

cjm41

Reaction score
Ouch. This is not a job I’d want to use anything but the best part I could get my hands on for.

I purchased the front crossover pipe from British Parts of Utah. They offer the OEM “improved design” as a single SKU. I was so tired of playing part number roulette.

Pfunk951

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed, Philmont! They cancelled last year due to Covid, so we're chomping at the bit to get down there.. I've got to get this rig buttoned up pretty quick and shake it down prior to the trip..

MP

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For critical parts like cooling system, I’d prob go one step further and only buy OE/Land Rover parts. There is a difference in the quality between OEM and OE Land Rover Parts. In my 2005 L322, the cooling hose O-rings are different between OE and OEM, and I’ve had several "OEM" hoses fail due to oring deformation and actually pulled the orings out of the older OE Land Rover hoses (5 years old) that I saved and put them in the OEM hoses and it corrected the leak, until I could replace the hoses with OE. I also lost an engine in my 95 classic years ago due to a premature OEM fan clutch that failed, so for me personally, I only use OE Land Rover parts in critical area's, same with my BMW's.

I am sure not all OEM parts are inferior to OE, just hard to tell, and I am no longer willing to take chances.

Last edited:

greiswig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I’ll ask the dumb question: what is the difference between OE Land Rover and OEM? Aren’t they both Original Equipment Manufacturer parts?

timc930

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I’ll ask the dumb question: what is the difference between OE Land Rover and OEM? Aren’t they both Original Equipment Manufacturer parts?
Sometimes they are the same, but not always as in my personal experience. Read the Turner link that I provided in my post.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the OEM stuff fails too I guess pick from a bad lot. Unfortunately there is lots of crap out there.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, 'OEM' is a figure of speech maybe used too broadly and loosely these days...sometimes by 'crooks' (MHO) selling knock-offs and calling it that because they maintain it meets spec.
So yes 'OE-Land Rover' or 'Genuine Land Rover', as they say, works...even though, as we all know, LR's are about chockfull of OEM parts (made by others for both the original build and still for replacement).
What I meant in this context is- use the same as installed when it rolled off of the line and into someone's garage...
Or maybe use LR's improved version of OE that doesn't BLOW UP every 50k miles or so...if there isn't such a thing, there should be.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A562NV