Bleeding cooling system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your bleed screw breaks, don’t panic. Advance auto parts has two of them for $4. If it’s me, I’d go ahead and replace them as insurance.

Last edited:

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One more thought...are you letting the truck heat up and then shutting it down and opening all bleed valves and expansion tank cap? This will allow coolant to settle and air pockets to rise. After letting it sit for hours, check and refill expansion tank as needed. My guess is the vacuum, with everything tight, is not allowing air pockets to rise and coolant to drain into the system from the expansion tank. If you see a drop in level after the first cycle, repeat once or twice more. Lots of places for air to hide in the cooling system on these trucks...

Jeffry Johnson

Reaction score
thanks for that. that's a good thought. I did think about something like that but I always thought air would suck back into the system .now when I started up on high idle I'll have heat but as soon as it drops down to regular idle it cools back down.really appreciate all your help Rover Owners.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for that. that's a good thought. I did think about something like that but I always thought air would suck back into the system .now when I started up on high idle I'll have heat but as soon as it drops down to regular idle it cools back down.really appreciate all your help Rover Owners.

If you think of the bleed valves as the high points, the water doesnt drop back down unless there is air in the system or a leak. You’ve ruled out a leak with the pressure test. Opening the valves on cool down only serves to allow air to escape and water to be drawn into the system.

David Fullmer

Reaction score
Photos of both bleeder screws attached. The bleeder valve/fill point I can’t get a photo of right now as it is under the air box on the front of the engine. It sits above the water pump.

View attachment 9071

View attachment 9072

@scott schmerge would you happen to know the part number or name of the assembly in your lower photo -hard plastic with bleeder? I am trying to replace pipe and bleeder and cannot find this anywhere on any diagram. thanks-

stl8grey

Reaction score
I just replaced water pump as well, read all of this info and nada. Will not bleed. Let it sit over night as well. Drove it half a block and it got hot. Air pocket? Was not getting hot before the job. Swapped pumps because it was making noise.

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just replaced water pump as well, read all of this info and nada. Will not bleed. Let it sit over night as well. Drove it half a block and it got hot. Air pocket? Was not getting hot before the job. Swapped pumps because it was making noise.
Likely, yes.

stl8grey

Reaction score
I almost didn't replace it so I wouldn't have to go thru the bleed fiasco. I even replaced the crossover y-pipe, and the oil cooler to water pump tube. Everything went fabulous. It idled great too. Now it is a donut hole.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA